Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

What can I do?

Failure ID: GUWG1T-818B5G-MFPWLK-60UP03

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @bird09 

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
GUWG1T-818B5G-MFPWLK-60UP03OK0000000006/25/22303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

c04655191.pdf (hp.com)

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" SATA SSD.

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it came from HP with W10 64 bit.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g141dx (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You can reinstall W10 for free by making a bootable USB installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g141dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @bird09 

Can you post a picture of the full screen to see all informations of the error message ?

I guess that you can't start your Windows operating system anymore

You should have your notebook serviced by a professional notebook repair shop to replace your hard drive and reinstall the operating system. The shop can try to copy/clone your private data files to your new harddrive, if this is possible. 

Most errors of hard disks indicate that more and more physical sectors are defective or general electronic or mechanical malfunctions have occurred and the hard disk must be replaced as soon as possible (immediately). In this case, you can still access the data (partially). Sometimes, however, the hard disk fails completely and no access is possible.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Dear @bird09 

Please get back to here If you can report anything new.

Good luck

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Hi, @bird09 

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
GUWG1T-818B5G-MFPWLK-60UP03OK0000000006/25/22303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

c04655191.pdf (hp.com)

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" SATA SSD.

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it came from HP with W10 64 bit.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g141dx (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You can reinstall W10 for free by making a bootable USB installation media with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g141dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks @Paul_Tikkanen for the additional contribution 😊

best regards

HP Recommended

The failure code that I posted is what I get when I press F2 during the boot process, followed by component tests, followed by hard drive, followed by quick test.

Prior to doing this, every time that I attempted to turn the laptop on it would say, failed to boot and to press the escape button. 

I then watched a video that showed me how to press F10 during the startup process, followed by going to system configuration, followed by boot options, followed by legacy support and enabling this option.

Now when I restart the laptop it says, no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

My concern is that when I do so, I will lose all of my stored info. Does anyone know if that will be the case?

Also, I no longer have the Windows 7 boot disk. I was seeing if I could do this without the actual disk.

HP Recommended

Hi:

As I posted previously, your notebook came with Windows 10 Home 64 bit as you can see from the specifications, and I gave you all the information you need to install a new hard drive and reinstall W10 operating system that came with your notebook.

If you want to reinstall Windows 7 32 bit, that will be your burden to find W7 installation media, and hopefully you have the W7 product key.

Regarding the recovery of your files from the failed drive...Probably not possible, but you can try to recover your files by purchasing a SATA to USB cable.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: BENFEI SATA to USB Cable, BENFEI USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Driver Adapter Compatible for ...

After you remove the drive, plug one end of the cable into the drive and the other end into a working PC's USB port and see if you can read/copy any files you need onto the PC.

HP Recommended

Hello @bird09 

>I then watched a video that showed me how to press F10 during the startup process, followed by going to system configuration, followed by boot options, followed by legacy support and enabling this option.

Disable Legacy Boot Mode and Enable UEFI to go back to your previous settings.

>My concern is that when I do so, I will lose all of my stored info. Does anyone know if that will be the case?

You will not lose additional data when the mode has been changed in the bios. It does not matter.

It is important not to use the notebook from now on until the new hard disk is installed, this is very important !

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

I sincerely appreciate the help from both of you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.