Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
14-cb012wm
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

Hi guys,

I am trying to replace the hard drive in my sons HP Stream 14-cbo12wm laptop. I have watched a few videos on people doing it on Youtube. They purchased a drive caddy for a laptop. Then, they took it apart to remove the SATA connector. This allowed them to plug in a new hard drive. I have a OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD that is lightly used I was going to throw in it. We are trying to get  it to function better so he can do his homework. In its current state the little 32GB hard drive is full from Windows updates which is making it terribly slow. The hard drive is too small to even install all the latest updates.

After taking it apart and replacing the hard drive how do I reinstall Windows 10? I have read somewhere else that HP now is required to embed the Windows 10 key in the BIOS. If I download the latest version of Windows 10 x64 and install it to the drive will it automatically accept the license key? Do I need to download a key finder so I have the key for install? I have never messed with one of these S mode laptops before and never even heard of devices using S mode before. I have worked on a lot of computers, laptops, notebooks, phones, you name it. Will the S modem key work to install a fully functional Windows 10?

Thanks,

Rocky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BigRoc2223 

Sorry, but I've not used the Cloud Recovery and don't know how current the stuff is -- but I do know that HP is not constantly updating recovery media -- which is basically what you get through that tool.

But once you have the PC restored, then you can check online to see if there are driver updates.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@BigRoc2223 

The drive is an SSD -- so being nearly full would NOT make the PC slow.  

Had you asked, I could have provided you some links to utilities you could have run to clean out a lot of the files.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. This is one of them cheapy laptops. The hard drive had to be replaced. It only has a little over 27GB of available space. Everyone that I have seen or read about complains the HD is too small. With NOTHING installed on the device but Windows 10 updates the drive is completely full and cannot even download new updates. Plus this is not a real SSD it is EMMC hard drive. They are way slower than SSD's. They are basically flash memory.

I am not too familiar with HP PC/Laptops. I build all my own PC's. So after getting the drive installed the HP cloud recovery tool will create a bootable installer to install Windows 10 plus HP's software and drivers? Does it actually install the latest drivers and software updates or will I have to go to HP's website after running it to download and install all the latest drivers and software? I wish they would of just put a cheap SSD in these things to begin with. I mean SSD's are so cheap right now. Instead I guess HP once again decided instead of providing the customer with something decent that works we will just screw them over again for a few pennies smdh.

HP Recommended

@BigRoc2223 

Sorry, but I've not used the Cloud Recovery and don't know how current the stuff is -- but I do know that HP is not constantly updating recovery media -- which is basically what you get through that tool.

But once you have the PC restored, then you can check online to see if there are driver updates.

HP Recommended

Okay found some instructions on how to take it apart so I am going to give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi! I was curious as I'm trying to replace my hard drive. What is the hard drive you all are buying?

HP Recommended

After taking it apart there is no additional Sata port to add a drive. You also cannot replace the drive that is already installed as it is soldered to the motherboard. Therefore, only two options available. Use the recovery tool to download latest Windows installation disk and reinstall Windows which should save some hard drive space or install a Linux Distro. If you install a Linus distro the hard drive will be plenty. Hope this helps. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.