Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

my harddrive failed and i cant get my windows key out of the windowsproperties.

I need my key to download and reinstall a new Windows on a new harddrive so that it will work, but unfortunately there is no product key anywhere to find on my Probook. I have looked under the battery and the caps you can remove too.

Unfortonately my seller (Saturn Austria) told me to send it to the repair shop , great help.

Hp Support is not bettter, because there is no support you can contact. it just tells me its out of warranty (4 years) and sends me back to the main page.

Regards & thanks for your answers 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook came with Windows from HP, the Windows product key is in your notebook's BIOS.

No more product key labels since Windows 8 came out.

You don't need the key or even need to know what the key is in order to reinstall W10.

Your notebook is also supported by the HP cloud recovery client utility which you can use to make a bootable USB recovery drive to reinstall W10 on your new drive.

This package provides the Cloud Recovery Client for supported models running a supported operating system. This Client Utility enables users to download the Recovery Kit from the cloud.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110501-111000/sp110846.exe

I have attached the instructions for how to use the utility below.

HP Recommended

Hi, thx for your reply.

I tried the cloudrecovery, but if i put in my product-ID it tells me that there is no product ID like this. so where in my bios exactly  can i find the Windows Key?

If i press F1 there are some information about my laptop but nothing about the key...

this hp support is the worst i have ever seen, i have never had contact with a complicated support like this or even a website like this. sorry. im just pissed everytime i open the hp homepage and try to find anything...only popups and not the information you are searching for. even to find this communitypage wich is on their official website is complicated.

i would prefer to just text the HP-Support!!! Just a simple email with my information, my scanned documents so that they see its my laptop and nothing is stolen and just a quick response with the windows key !!! there is nothing else i want  !!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This is a peer to peer forum.  We don't work for or represent HP.

The W10 product key is in the PC's BIOS.  It is not readable just by looking for it in any of the BIOS menus.

You don't need it or even need to know what it is in order to install W10.

If your notebook came with FreeDOS, then there is no Windows product key.

If there is a W10 product key in the BIOS, W10 will not ask for a product key when you go to install W10.

Make bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

Make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you have Windows installed, you can install this free utility from the Microsoft Store that will show you the W10 product key and the version of W10 the key is good for.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.