Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Erberderber wrote:

Yes, if it does that, I will go through the whole procedure again but for now, so far so good.  I've been manually installing any available updates including an important one regarding malware and after doing so, the MEI is still version 10. As said before, it'll just be a case of being on the ball, but will probably become routine over time.  Thank you so much Dan, you've been great.

Ah, I didn't realize you still had the Windows Update service set to Manual...  In that case, you shouldn't have to worry about v11 auto-installing itself.  You'll need to initiate all other updates yourself though, as you seem to be doing.

You're very welcome!

HP Recommended

Hi Everybody!

I had the same issues with my HP Pavilion 13-a104nfX360.

I went through the whole procedure, all issues are solved and everything works fine now !

Now, how will we know when an updated version of the MEI driver for Windows 10 (not causing the same issues again) will be OK to install and replace the one we have just install (normally appropriate for Windows 8.1) ? Today, my HP Support Assistant  proposes a list of new drivers, including a new version 11 of the MEI driver? Is it safe to install it? How long should I wait and continue with the version 9 MEI driver?

I hope my message is clear enough since English isn't my native tongue...

Thank you

François

HP Recommended

@fd86 wrote:

Hi Everybody!

I had the same issues with my HP Pavilion 13-a104nfX360.

I went through the whole procedure, all issues are solved and everything works fine now !

Now, how will we know when an updated version of the MEI driver for Windows 10 (not causing the same issues again) will be OK to install and replace the one we have just install (normally appropriate for Windows 8.1) ? Today, my HP Support Assistant  proposes a list of new drivers, including a new version 11 of the MEI driver? Is it safe to install it? How long should I wait and continue with the version 9 MEI driver?

I hope my message is clear enough since English isn't my native tongue...

Thank you

François

I would wait until they release either version 12 or an update to v11 that specifically lists a resolution of this issue.

Or just stick with v9/v10 since they function properly.

Your English is great BTW!  🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, Dan.

As advised, I'll stick  with the version 9 MEI driver.

I hope when HP release a new MEI driver, they'll specify it resolves this specific issue or that someone in this forum will mention it!

Thanks again.

François

HP Recommended

Hello everyone -

I wanted to chime in with some notes, if it helps. I have HP Pavilion x360 (Intel Core M). It seems as if I have the same issue where my screen goes blank and I have to hit the power button to turn the computer back on. I can't press buttons to get out of sleep mode or anything. It has been quite frustrating. Tech support does not help because they cannot help until Dan's fixes hits their plates. Anything they do (update BIOS, go back to Windows 8.1 to put a fresh edition in, etc, etc) will not work. Sometimes it works but is only temporary from hours to a day. I know because I have tried them all and the temporary fix works just long enough for HP support to call you and close the case down as a success.

I do have to say I tried updating MEI to v10 and it did not work for me. When I tried to do v9 (to match up with the great majority of you), I was unable to because it said i didn't have the minimum system requirements. I am now back on v11 and having troubles. I made so many changes from this chat thread that maybe something got hung up, but anything else I could be doing wrong? Is it possible I can't go back to MEI v9 due to new Core M, which only has 1ghz processor? Just a thought. I may try in the meantime again but if anyone has ideas, let me know. Thank you

HP Recommended

@Corganer wrote:

Hello everyone -

I wanted to chime in with some notes, if it helps. I have HP Pavilion x360 (Intel Core M). It seems as if I have the same issue where my screen goes blank and I have to hit the power button to turn the computer back on. I can't press buttons to get out of sleep mode or anything. It has been quite frustrating. Tech support does not help because they cannot help until Dan's fixes hits their plates. Anything they do (update BIOS, go back to Windows 8.1 to put a fresh edition in, etc, etc) will not work. Sometimes it works but is only temporary from hours to a day. I know because I have tried them all and the temporary fix works just long enough for HP support to call you and close the case down as a success.

I do have to say I tried updating MEI to v10 and it did not work for me. When I tried to do v9 (to match up with the great majority of you), I was unable to because it said i didn't have the minimum system requirements. I am now back on v11 and having troubles. I made so many changes from this chat thread that maybe something got hung up, but anything else I could be doing wrong? Is it possible I can't go back to MEI v9 due to new Core M, which only has 1ghz processor? Just a thought. I may try in the meantime again but if anyone has ideas, let me know. Thank you

Were you uninstalling v11 before attempting to install v9?  Many users (self included) were unable to install v9 after uninstalling v11...  For whatever reason, the installer for v9 needs to see another version already installed on your device in order to proceed.

If you uninstalled v11, I'd try allowing Windows to reinstall it and then attempting to install v9 in place of it (without uninstalling v11 first).

If you have v11 installed and still are unable to install v9, the fix I posted may not be compatible with your model.

HP Recommended

As an update...this doesn't work for my model. I will just have to wait until MEI v.12

HP Recommended

thank you sorted my shut down problems , now i just have HP 3D DriveGuard fault , not working , again ta very much belucky

HP Recommended

I am almost too embarassed to suggest this solution, as I suspect that it might be obvious to the majority of you in this forum.   I tried most, if not all, of the suggested OS solutions posted here and elsewhere on the Internet to no avail, although I did learn a lot!

But I spent literally days troubleshooting my PC's refusal to go to sleep.  I eventually wound up loading 3 different OS images - Vista, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, to no avail and concluded the problem was in my HP Pavilion Elite 9160F hardware.

This was the fix for me:

I went into the BIOS power setting and  found that the default setting  for "After AC Power Failure" is Auto. Seemed pretty reasonable to me, but as a last resort I reset this setting to Stay Off.

That did it for me! I hope that in some small way this is helpful to others who might still be experiencing as much frustration as I was!   

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Which of the many problems did you have though?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.