Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dv7-7333cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings HP Forum,

I recently replaced a bad hard drive on my laptop. I now need step by step proceedure to extract recoverable data from the bad drive using 22 pin usb to SATA adapter onto the new HD.

NOTE: I may not want all of the data especially if some of the software downloaded on the replaced drive may be corrupt. Should I first download Internet Virus Software to protect my new hard drive? I am not an expert or even close to such when working on backside of laptop so I will need step by step proceedure in uploading and partitioning the recoverable  data/software, etc.

Thank you in advance for your assistance...I greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Wes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It ain't complex. Attach the drive to the adapter and connect it to any other computer with good antivirus and antispyware installed. I use Malwarebytes and Avast. When you plug the adapter with the drive attached into the usb port the drive will mount and it will be assigned a letter maybe E:\ or F:\ or whatever. Immediately scan it with the antivirus and the antispyware. Quarantine or delete any virus or malware it finds. Then it is just a matter of browsing the drive and copying and pasting the contents to the host computer into a directory for that purpose. Obviously you can copy off files like the word documents, pictures, music but you cannot copy apps like Microsoft Word, iTunes. Photoshop.  You may have to take ownership of the files on the old hard drive but Windows will walk you through that. Not sure what else I can answer. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @Wes_Whitewolf

Welcome to the HP Support Community! 

I understand that you are looking to recovery the data from your bad hard drive to transfer over to your new one. I do not have a specific set of instructions that would be able to help you when it comes to Data Recovery from a bad hard drive. I did find a thread that may help:Data Recovery from crashed Hard Disk

I assume there is third party software you could try to use to move the data over. The thread seemed to refer to a specialized technician who is able to perform such a task. Those may be options for you to explore. 

I would always recommend protection software before putting anything onto your new hard drive, whether that be personal files or something from the internet. 

If you feel this post has helped point you in the right direction or you just want to say cheers, please click the Accept as Solution button and/or the Thumbs Up

I hope that you are able to come to a resolution! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Greetings Emerald Avenger,

I appreciate a reply. Huffer (another HP agent) was the one that suggested using the 22-pin usb to SATA adapter with the likely recover potential of 80/20. He was the one suggesting to buy the adapter so I was hoping he would have repled with instructions on how exactly I do this (he wanted me to begin a new thread instead of providing a solution in the original thread ( http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-ENVY-dv7-notebook-hard-disk-... )

I would like to know what he had in mind...is there any way of requesting his comment?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Wes

HP Recommended

Hey there, 

I read the thread between you and Huffer and I understand why he would have asked for a separate thread. In this case, I believe we could ask our good friend @Huffer if he has any tips, tricks or instructions that may be helpful? 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

It ain't complex. Attach the drive to the adapter and connect it to any other computer with good antivirus and antispyware installed. I use Malwarebytes and Avast. When you plug the adapter with the drive attached into the usb port the drive will mount and it will be assigned a letter maybe E:\ or F:\ or whatever. Immediately scan it with the antivirus and the antispyware. Quarantine or delete any virus or malware it finds. Then it is just a matter of browsing the drive and copying and pasting the contents to the host computer into a directory for that purpose. Obviously you can copy off files like the word documents, pictures, music but you cannot copy apps like Microsoft Word, iTunes. Photoshop.  You may have to take ownership of the files on the old hard drive but Windows will walk you through that. Not sure what else I can answer. 

HP Recommended

Thank you both for the suggestions. I appreciate your assistance.

Cheers!

Wes

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.