Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 15-ac169tu
I got this laptop (Hp 15-ac169tu) online with freeDos and I want to install Windows 10. I've choose custom installation & there are already two partition created by manufacturer ie, partition 1 & 2 with 7.8 GB each and 915.9 GB remains unallocated.
I'm trying to create 4 partition in this unallocated space with 200 GB each but its not working. Its saying that Windows can't be installed on this drive.
Please help..
Also will it be okay if I delete partition 1 & 2.
Partition 1 has HPDOCS.
Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Eeeh hey!! Thank you all for replying.
I got the solution and I've learned a lot. Now for those of you who will be following my post may please refer to steps given below.
If you have a new laptop & you've never installed windows & your system is running with freedos than you'll 1st have to make your Hard disk to NTFS format.
1. Choose custom installation.
2. Press shift+F10 (DOS windows will appear).
Now type
3. Disk part [Press Enter]
4. List disk [Press Enter] (You should see only Disk 0).
5. Sel disk 0 [Press enter]
6. Clean [Press enter]
Close the dos windows & click refresh.
Now you can create partitions and install windows.
Hope this helps. Good luck...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi

I got this laptop (Hp 15-ac169tu) online with freeDos and I want to install Windows 10. I've choose custom installation & there are already two partition created by manufacturer ie, partition 1 & 2 with 7.8 GB each and 915.9 GB remains unallocated.
I'm trying to create 4 partition in this unallocated space with 200 GB each but its not working. Its saying that Windows can't be installed on this drive.
Please help..
Also will it be okay if I delete partition 1 & 2.
Partition 1 has HPDOCS.
Thank you.

STOP and do not delete or change anything.

The existing partitions may well contain recovery data, and you should not lose that without a VERY good reason.

Is there any option to select Diagnostics or Recovery from using

Access BIOS: For computers or tablets with keyboards attached:
Turn on or restart the computer or tablet, quickly press  esc  , and then press f9 for boot options.

AND

Also look for F11 for recovery.

If you can recover the device to it's original Factory Spec then an upgrade from there may be easily achieveable.

ADDING 4 partitions is possibly blocked because it is an MBR and the limit is 4.

W 10 wants an UEFI and GPT to be happy to install, it is a little picky.

So please

Can you do a recovery?
HP Recommended

assumi

Just to clear things up, you do not require either UEFI or GPT to install Win10 -- it's just that the latest machines that come with Win10 preinstalled have those.

I have Win10 running without problems on several older BIOS/MBR machines.

Instead of telling us what is not happening, you need to tell us what you are seeing when you try to install Win10 on your PC.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my reply post to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Hey!! Thanks for replying but its kind of confusing. Can you 1st help me create partitions so that I can install windows..
HP Recommended

Hi

NO.

First find out what you have.    MBR or UEFI/GPT disk. 

Post something like this....  (if you can)

Parts of My Disk.png

Then we can decide how to proceed.

HP Recommended
Its saying that Windows cannot be installed to this disk . The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disk.
Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.
Now, how can I format to NTFS if freedos os..
HP Recommended

Hi

You have had postings offering help, subject to more info from you, and without that I am at a loss on what to say, the best I want to offer is... 

STEP 1 Create a GPT disk (Google for HOW2)

STEP 2 Install Windows 10

STEP 3 Activate Windows 10, either automatically, with the KEY you purchased or will purchase.

HP Recommended

OK, so whatever Win10 media you made has you booting in UEFI mode, and in that case, it is expecting to see a GPT-formatted drive, but instead, it is seeing an MBR partition scheme.  This is a conflict between UEFI and MBR.

So, you need to do one of the following:

1) Use Win10 install media that will boot you in BIOS mode, not UEFI

2) Reformat the drive using GPT -- so you can continue to boot in UEFI mode

But, if you won't show us what your drive partitioning looks like, we keep having to guess -- and that is not working.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Eeeh hey!! Thank you all for replying.
I got the solution and I've learned a lot. Now for those of you who will be following my post may please refer to steps given below.
If you have a new laptop & you've never installed windows & your system is running with freedos than you'll 1st have to make your Hard disk to NTFS format.
1. Choose custom installation.
2. Press shift+F10 (DOS windows will appear).
Now type
3. Disk part [Press Enter]
4. List disk [Press Enter] (You should see only Disk 0).
5. Sel disk 0 [Press enter]
6. Clean [Press enter]
Close the dos windows & click refresh.
Now you can create partitions and install windows.
Hope this helps. Good luck...

HP Recommended
Sir my i buy laptop from hp store my laptop model is hp 15 ay503tx and he will give me laptop with windows 10 and my dedicated video memory is not increase and when i play games it was not using graphic card my graphic card is amd radeon r3 m430 and it is 2gb dedicated but it is not dedicated so please give me solution for my problem
thank you
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.