Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G4

Hello,
Can you help me to know which version of windows (or either was installed FreeDOS system) on an hp notebook I recieved for repair?

[personal information removed per Rules Of Participation]
Product: M9S72EA#ABZ
Warranty:1y1y0y
Model: HP 250 G4

This notebook has Windows 10 PRO installed, but it's not activated, and the product key I read by key-finder program seems not to be a regular one (I found it easily by google...).
I just wanted to reinstall the original system and then possibly try to upgrade to windows 10.

There is no COA sticker on notebook case.
I tried to get a OEM Key from BIOS firmware, but without any returns.
Hard drive has been erased before I tested the activation procedure of windows: there was three partition (syste reserved / windows10 / OEMsomething), likely the third one contained something useful, but I erased during windows reinstall procedure.

Can you help me to find which system was originally really installed in this notebook out of HP factory?

Thenks in advance!

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

If there is no Windows 8.1 product key in the BIOS, then your specific PC came with FreeDOS.

If you currently have a Windows OS installed, you can use this free utility that I zipped up and attached below to see if there is a prouduct key in the BIOS.

The parts list for the product number you posted shows every available option, so that is of no help.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=M9S72EA

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks for your answer!

Is there any other serial number or sticker I could looking for? For example within the notebook case too? Something useful for you to check against any other hp internal database?

I'll verify if there is a OEM product key in bios by using showkeyplus...

HP Recommended

I verified with ShowKeyPlus, but no OEM key was found.

Then looked for any infos in the bios where there is the line:

"Fatory Installed OS: non-Windows"

I searched also on youtube as an example and I found this BIOS screen:

https://youtu.be/ZezmjKBqp-c?t=84

As you can see there is a line "factory installed os: Win8.1" at the grey screen.

While you can see a "non-Windows" line in the following video:

https://youtu.be/mgr8SG8AI-I?t=130

As reagards windows license prices don't seem to be so cheap:

https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/store/b/windows?icid=CNavSoftwareWindows

145 € for Home edition

260 € for Pro edition

At the same time we actually find offers win pro 10_x64 for only 3 or 4 €. Someone confirms they work properly and are so cheap because are OEM keys of discontinued end-of-life motehrboards. For that price I could try, if they can sell on amazon I think it is a regular procedure.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry @Paul_Tikkanen for intruding, but I believe @pierland we have met in Microsoft Community in Italy.

Anyway, I have tried many many product keys from Amazon and all have worked, a couple of times needed to activate by phone. Only once one did not work and it was replaced with working one.

A small trick for Windows 10 Home. If you have any old or broken laptops laying around, you can use the product key from the sticker on them (Windows 7) to activate Windows 10 Home.

Spero sia di aiuto,

David

HP Recommended

Grazie mille David!

As regards windws 7 home product key, is it working even if is referring to an OEM license.

for example:

- if I have an old notebook with its windows 7 home (or  home premium) OEM product key stick

- and  a new pc without any OS

Can I install windows 10 home on the new machine and activate it using the old Win7 OEM productkey?

Isn't OEM license valid just for that specific old notebook?

HP Recommended

Prego, @pierland 

Hi, @iomare :  It's a small world, and I'm glad you two know each other.

I just want to add that you can most likely upgrade from W7 to W10 for free, if you can install W7 and have a valid W7 product key to activate W7.

See this link...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Unfortunately, the parts list I posted is the only reference material on that model, so even entering the serial number would give you the same info.

But that is water under the bridge as you now know the notebook came with FreeDOS.

Even though my last name is very Finnish in origin, my grandparents and great-grandparents on my mother's side were from Sicily--from Ragusa and Castelbuono.

So I leaned a little Italian and Sicilian (Sicilian is a very different dialect) growing up in the New York City, USA region.

Love the food!

Ciao!

HP Recommended

Ciao Paul,

Have you ever been to Italy yourself?

I am actually from Ireland but have been living in Italy for the last 22 years. For a long time on Elba. Yes, love the food and my Italian wife, a great cook.

@pierland 

I do not really know why it works. Probably to make the transition from Windows 7 to 10 easier, it is what they want us all to use 🙂

I have used about 10 of old broken computer product keys (7 home) and activated Windows 10 home on different machine. Twice it did not work (i believe 7 starter keys) and about 3 times I needed to use the phone call to activate.

The digital keys online I believe are volume licences and are legit keys. I do not really know if it is legit to buy them and use them. I would leave that to Amazon and Microsoft to sort out.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Hi, David.

Unfortunately, I have never been to Italy.

Maybe someday, who knows?

I'm sure it is very nice.

The USA is a melting pot.  My wife's grandparents on her mother's side were from Ireland.

Have a great day!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.