Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-au123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello all:

For a HP laptop, where is the produced year of this product?

Tell me the way to find it, please!                 --Zhao

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is correct.

You have to at least have some idea of when you bought the product.

Because if the 4th character is a 9, it could be 1999, 2009, 2019...

The 4th character is always the last number in the year.  

CCSYWWZZZZ

Let's start from 2010...4th character of the serial number ends in:

2010 = 0

2011 = 1

2012 = 2

2013 = 3

2014 = 4

2015 = 5

2016 = 6

2017 = 7

2018 = 8

2019 = 9

2020 = 0

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can determine the year and calendar week of manufacture from the serial number.

The 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number are always numbers.

the 4th character is the last number of the year.   For example, if the 4th character is a 6, the notebook was made in 2016.

If the 5th and 6th characters are a 2 and a 6, then the notebook was made in the 26th week of the year...

So if the 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number are 626, then your notebook was made during the last week of June, 2016.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen:

Only one digit, 4th digit, to indicate the year!  

If one laptop produced in 2009, how to express the manifactured year?

--- Zhao

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is correct.

You have to at least have some idea of when you bought the product.

Because if the 4th character is a 9, it could be 1999, 2009, 2019...

The 4th character is always the last number in the year.  

CCSYWWZZZZ

Let's start from 2010...4th character of the serial number ends in:

2010 = 0

2011 = 1

2012 = 2

2013 = 3

2014 = 4

2015 = 5

2016 = 6

2017 = 7

2018 = 8

2019 = 9

2020 = 0

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen:

The knowledge you told me like something secret and interesting. Now you solved 

my question thoroughly!

Thank you a great deal!!                --- Zhao

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen:

The serial number of my new laptop, HP 15-au123cl, is SCD7160MLM.

I think this machine most likely manufactured in 10-year ago: 2007!

Am I right?   Awful!               -- Zhao

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Have you forgotten that 2017 is almost half over already?

No, your notebook was manufactured sometime this year (2017 during the 16th week of the year).

4th, 5th and 6th characters of the serial number...716

That is a brand new model.

Intel did not release the 7th generation core processors until late in 2016.

http://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

So, it would have been absolutely impossible for your notebook to have been made in 2007, anymore than it could have been made in 2027.

Remember what I wrote...you have to have some kind of relative idea when you bought the notebook, if you presumably bought it new.

HP Recommended
Dear Paul_Tikkanen: Thank you again for the knowledge of manufacture year. Now I have another question needing your help. You know my current laptop was bought one month ago. It bothered me a great deal during this month: (1) it can not do System Restore. (2) It can not boot into Safe-Mode. (3) Double/Twice Display a Flash-Drive on the navigation pane. ..... The experts often suggest to do reset, refresh,recovery. I have done 2-time reset and one time recovery. Now I dare not to do big change because there are already important program in the machine. So, I have determined to buy a new laptop for setting up a perfect machine. What brand/model should I choose?? How to avoid the basic function troubles like the current set? You know at this key-point of time, I need proficient expert instruction! -- Zhao PS: Friend advice me to buy "HP Laptop Envy..." What do you think of it?
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you choose a new notebook model.

First of all, I only buy HP business notebooks and desktop PC's.

Second...I have not shopped around for a new HP business notebook or desktop PC since 2011, so I am unfamiliar with what new technology is out there.

The latest HP Elitebook I own is a HP 6930p, which still runs great.  It is from 2008, and has a 14.1" display, and I have installed W10 on it.

I imagine if I were to buy a new notebook today, and I wanted a 15.6" display like yours, I would go for the HP Elitebook 850 G4, which is the newest premium business notebook model they have.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-elitebook-850-g4-notebook-pc-%28energy-star%29-p-1bs49ut-aba--1

I tend to like the slightly smaller display (14.1"), so I would be looking at the HP Elitebook 840 G4.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=11122291#!tab=features

They are expensive though.  :Crying:

HP Recommended
Dear Paul_Tikkanen: You provided me with new knowledge again, the newest model of HP notebook pc: HP Elitebook 850 G4. I checked/viewed the picture model and have 2-question: (1) what is the size of HDD. Nowadays the size of HDD usually is 1TB = 1000 GB. how big is this model? (2) Does it have CDROM or DVD RW Drive.? Besides, what is the meaning of "business notebook". Does the pc for business has some special features? --- Zhao
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.