Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6-2007so
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hey,

Im getting blinking Caps lock and light above pg up / end keys. No picture at all on either internal LCD or external monitor with VGA connection. No beeping sound at all. Fans turn on, battery light is stable, DVD player is working with green light etc.

I already tried Hard reset / cleaning motherboard and cpu + applying new thermal paste / booting without battery / different ram sticks on different slots etc usual fixes with no luck.

Code is 2 blinks on both caps lock and numlock then 3s pause and again 2 blinks, i looked from HP site that it means bios corruption and just tried to do Restoring of bios with Windows + B + Power key multiple times, Laptop continues blinking for 10s and reboots and starts blinking again either 2 blink code or continuous blink ( cpu failure ). but 90% of time its blinking 2x and then few second pause.

I tried make bootable bios update usb following this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Only found winflash files for dv6 2007so downloaded those and installed, it wont start hp bios update utility which should give option to make bootable usb with bios file.

After isntalltion is just opens insyde bios flash program.... and asks me to flash bios.

So how can i make automatic bootable bios update with other computer?

thx in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Download the latest HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key available in links below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

and create USB key and read the page 14 in "HP PC Diagnostics USB Key User Guide - Rev 5 (Mar 2015 Release) - English" document existing in USB key.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Try the method here, substituting your BIOS file of course:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/DV4-1120us-bricked-by-HP-s-own-Bios-update/m-p/20598#...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for that thread link.

I dont have very small usb sticks only like 12gb or more. Found one 4gb and decided to try with it.. but its still too big.

When i tried windows key + b bios recovery without usb stick laptop would shuttdown after 10-15s from booting and then restart itself with same 2 blink codes.

I downloaded second latest bios since latest one didnt even have fd. file in it... only winflash 1 file. Formatted stick to FAT with win7 and put file in.

Usb stick had 5 green blinks about 10s after booting and then nothing, next time i formatted it to fat32 and put file in. This time i got 5 blinks, then pause and computer beeped once.. after that 10blinks on usb stick and laptop suddenly shuttdown. Restarts and usb wont blink again.. same problem with 2 blink codes continues.

Should i try format it to fat32 with windows vista as some suggested? And is 4gb just too big stick..? i could try with cd 800mb but didnt find anyone trying wouldnt probably even work and what key combination to use.

Dont believe its hardware based since laptop wont shuttdown at boot without trying flash bios ... im just doing something wrong.

thx if can help

HP Recommended

Download the latest HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key available in links below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

and create USB key and read the page 14 in "HP PC Diagnostics USB Key User Guide - Rev 5 (Mar 2015 Release) - English" document existing in USB key.

HP Recommended

Hey, thank you for answering.

I did few different attempts on flashing bios with 4 GB usb stick, tried to make 4mb partition with diskpart and flash with that. No luck, this time i got 2 beeps and a bit longer green blinking from stick but it ended in shuttdown and restart as always. Wonder if i need other files than .fd file from winflash.exe (extracted with 7 zip ). There is also .sys files but didnt see any .bat or .exe other than winflash itself? Only this method of automatic flashing will work cause i wont get anything other than black screen with ANY key combination.

After restart 2 blinks continue, i will try get smaller USB for this. And meanwhile trying to download this 3 in 1 diagnostic tool from HP its huge 1.2gb and my download gets corrupted somehow at 10mb. Maybe its some server error in hp site or my internet sucks. Will update if i get it working.

HP Recommended

Still cant download from that link, on all browsers error at happens when dloading at 15-20mb ( total file 1.2gb )

I can download from everywhere else so looks like error is on HP site.

Can someone else download that 3 in 1 usb diagnostics ?

Didnt find legit alterbnative link or mirror

HP Recommended

Ok finally got it downloaded and installed to USB, i used makekey for making partition to stick. Read instructions and ofc without pressing anything laptop didnt show other than black screen, continued to step 2 with win key + B key and it started reading usb.. computer started to beep in about half a second interval continuously for 20-22 beeps. Then it suddenly shuttdown like before.. without this usb i didnt get it to beep more than 2 times so its progress 🙂

Tried with all USB ports and doing it without battery.. same thing everytime. Does this long beep have some error message perhaps?

Cause after reboot it shows 2 beeps then pause.. sign of bios corruption still?

HP Recommended

Actually I have done the same thing on my HP Pavilion 15-p061 and it worked and restored my BIOS to a previous version (F.33 which is still not mine though)

HP Recommended

Hey, could be its hardware issue, i will open laptop in few days and check every connection, swap thermal paste is fine and no liquid dmg etc.

If theres nothing odd and even voltages loook correct im back to zero.. maybe replace bios chip or is there anything else i can do IF itws not hardware related?

HP Recommended

Ok, checked now fan, cpu , ram slots closely. Changed thermal paste and looked for any dmg liquid or other to board... without processor it gave 1-1-1-1 blink. Without ram it gave 3-3-3.. so it seems to recodnize everything fine.

Tried different type of ddr2 rams and no difference. It just keeps getting 2-2-2 for bios corruption, maybe its someting else, i see people say it could be dying GPU and reflow would help it.. but i destroyed 2 boards with reflowing. Flux burned everything and  few small components flew away from motherboard by too much air from my heatgun. Those where nearly dead boards cause gpu wasnt functioning so wasnt that big loss.

Should i again try heatgun method? No idea what else it could be than dying gpu.. still its odd i cant reflash bios without system shutting down. What else could it be ? voltages from dc jack looked good.. 19.5v , 5v and 1.5v.. didnt track further.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.