Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!  The 840 G3 appears to have a battery compartment that is secured by screws.  Sometimes there is a combination of keys that can be pressed that will simulate the function of a power reset (powering the laptop down, removing the battery, pressing the power button for a length of time to drain capacitors, replacing battery, and powering up) so that users don't have to remove the battery.  I've googled and found some key combinations for other HP products but can't find one for the 840 G3.  Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

I am not 100% sure if I understand you but I'll try to help.

As mentioned by you and as confirmed by the product's manual, it comes with non-removable fixed battery. May be you want to perform hard reset to power off the computer >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJQM8vJa9Q

Why do you want to perform this you write about ? Is there some issues with Windows ? If so, have you tried restarting it (instead of Shut down) ?  Because in Windows 8/8.1/10 this process is by default different from what it was in Windows XP/Vista/7.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Actually I have the same question as in the first post, and I could not find help so far.

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G3 which does not boot anymore (I can enter the Bios, but that´s it). I want to know how to hard reset this notebook, in the video posted above only hard resetting other notebooks (not the 840) is shown. Can anybody help me? I have already tried "power button" and "mute button", but that did not help either.

Thanks for your support!

HP Recommended
I have the same case. Laptop keeps on showing HP logo, dies and do the same again. Battery ks non removable and cant find the proper key combination to hard reset HP elitebook 840 G3. For your assistance please 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello, I meanwhile found a solution or a workaround. I inserted a Win7 DVD and started the repair process. This worked pretty fast without any loss of data. The Laptop is now able to boot Windows again. How to hard-reset this Laptop I still don´t know, but with the above solution it worked for me.

HP Recommended
Hi walterscout,

Thanks for the reply. However for my case I can't reach the bios screen. Im just seeing the HP logo then the laptop restarts again.

I've seen a very similar case on youtube but with a different model of HP. He removed the battery and the problem was resolved. For 840 G3, we cant just remove the battery.
HP Recommended
IT_WinSec, for your assistance please...
HP Recommended

@ChrisFernan

@walterscout

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Your case/issue is not identical to the initial post and initial request, therefore performing the steps will not help.

Hard reset = Hard restart is a procedure to basically cut down the power of the PC and then start it back. You can see in the video when (in what cases) it helps but definitely - it won't help when you can start (restart) your PC and Windows does not start.

What you expeience both is that the PC cannot start. It could be due to faulty hardware (e.g. faulty HDD) or because Windows cannot start. The Windows scenario is more common.

For @walterscout - as the Win 7 step helped, this is a software issue with Windows.

Here is what I usually recommend in such cases :

Perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

4. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. It can revert recently performed changes re software installations, drivers, etc... Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

*** If there is no F11 option, you have no HP Recovery partition. This means it has been deleted, it is corrupted or you never had such (a.k.a. your Windows was never preinstalled by HP but was installed after-sales by you or someone else).

If your Windows was preinstalled by HP and F11 does not work, there are other options by purchasing and using HP Recovery media (DVD or USB drive) to reinstall Windows.

*** If System Restore does not help, back to the F11 option - you will need to "reinstall" Windows = return the PC to factory default conditon = HP Recovery .

Here is a video example:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlHwkVuv5Q

Looking forward to your reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Buy the HP Notebook 15 - http://amzn.to/2hu27eO This is a video on how to perform a factory restore on a HP Notebook 15 Laptop running Windows 10. Model: HP 15-F387wm HP 15-f355nr HP 15-af135nr HP 15-d103tx HP 15-d030nr HP 15-af131dx HP 15-f233wm HP 15-F033WM HP Black Licorice 15.6" 15-F387WM ...
HP Recommended
Hi IT_WinSec,

Thank you for the very impormative response. I tried your instruction but pressing ESC brings me nowhere.

My situation is the same as in the video. Only with a different HP model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXI8Iwi9X1I

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try once again so that we are sure - press the power on button and begin pressing the Esc immediately - hit - hit - hit ?

Can you try pressing something else - like F1/F2/F9/F10 and tell me what happens ?

When you originally purchased your PC - did it buy it new ? Did it have any Windows preinstalled on it ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.