Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10  activation,

Laptop needed to be reimaged so I downloaded the HP cloud recovery to bootable usb. I changed in bios to boot from legacy devices and performed the install. Everything went normal, win 10 pro now on Hp Stream, except win 10 doesn't pick up the activation key from bios? I tried entering key in manually and did not work

- is there something different i need to do on the HP Stream compared to a computer w a removable HDD?

Thank you

Loren4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for that model...a HP STREAM 14-CB164WM, it originally came with W10 Home in S mode.

HP Stream 14-cb164wm Laptop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

What I don't understand is why the cloud recovery tool is installing W10 Pro on your notebook.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to clean install W10 by making bootable USB installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

That should install the correct version of W10 that will work with the BIOS' product key.

It won't be in S mode though. It would be the full version.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you used the cloud recovery tool, there should have been no need to activate W10.

Use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below that will show you the W10 product key in the PC's BIOS and the version of W10 the key is good for.

Post the report of the OEM version of W10.  Do not post the product key.

This is the info I am looking for...the OEM report from my PC, for example.

OEM Edition: Win 8.1 RTM Professional OEM:DM

HP Recommended

win 10 rtm Core oem: dm 

is this home version?  where the install was a win 10 pro?

also for this model 

HP Stream 14-cb164wm

I don't know if this is the exact model that populated when i entered the SN# for the down load image

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the W10 Home OEM version, not Pro.

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

6sh07ua#aba 

just did an image and went through fine (image from MS websight) 

-is there any difference from HP cloud image to the image i got from MS for win 10 home , size difference, is one made for these emmc machines?

HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for that model...a HP STREAM 14-CB164WM, it originally came with W10 Home in S mode.

HP Stream 14-cb164wm Laptop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

What I don't understand is why the cloud recovery tool is installing W10 Pro on your notebook.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to clean install W10 by making bootable USB installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

That should install the correct version of W10 that will work with the BIOS' product key.

It won't be in S mode though. It would be the full version.

HP Recommended

I see that you edited your post.

You can't download W10 in S mode from Microsoft.

The S mode is a much smaller, but restricted version of W10 that was designed to work on smaller hard drives, but only allows apps from the Microsoft store to be installed.

I am assuming the cloud recovery tool should have installed W10 Home in S mode, because from what I have read, that would be the only way to return to S mode.

Why it installed W10 Pro is a complete mystery to me.

Must be that HP has the wrong cloud recovery image uploaded for that product number.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.