Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6 2221tu
Other

My internal hard is completed damaged. I cannot recover my data from that. I purchased  new internal HDD.  I need Win 8 rtm OEM to recover my genuine windows 8. Or other way to get my genuine windows back. I have tried installing windows 8 core but I get message like...the version of windows you are installing doesn't match with key embedded in bios...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so then you will need to download the W8.1 single language ISO file and use the generic W8.1 SL product key to install W8.1 single language.

Then change the key to the W8 SL key in your notebook's BIOS.

You can't enter the W8 SL key before hand.  I don't know why, but it doesn't work that way.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can give you a way to reinstall W8.1 for free by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS.

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'Standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5296082/model/532...

Now, if you run the Showkey plus utility and it reports the key is for W8 Single Language, go back and download the W8.1 Single Language ISO file, make the W8.1 single language bootable media, install it, and use this generic W8.1 single language key instead.  Then change the key to the one in your notebook's BIOS and it should work.

Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. Yes, my bios key is for single language. I have already got my genuine key using show key plus. I will try with the second option. Does it work for windows10 also. I mean, can I replace key in windows 10 with my bios key?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you had previously upgraded your PC to W10, all you need to do is to make the W10 installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

When you are asked what version of W10 you want to install, select W10 single language.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

No, I have not upgraded my win8 to win10

HP Recommended

OK, so then you will need to download the W8.1 single language ISO file and use the generic W8.1 SL product key to install W8.1 single language.

Then change the key to the W8 SL key in your notebook's BIOS.

You can't enter the W8 SL key before hand.  I don't know why, but it doesn't work that way.

HP Recommended

I installed win8.1. it automatically picked OEM key. Yes, your idea of installing win8.1 worked.  No need to change the key....Thank you

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.