Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Did you try my method?
HP Recommended
My method worked for me
HP Recommended
!!! This worked for me....I found out how to install without switching in the bios which i could not enable Legacy boot. What I did was put a Windows 8 disc in the drive and closed it. I used another computer with Windows 8 And made a USB recovery, I put the USB in the computer that I'm trying to fix and power the computer on and it booted from the USB without me touching anything. It booted up and I chose language I went to repair advance options and press restore to image (which I didn't have a image) then I hit advance or load drivers, then I went to look for driver by hitting the drop down button and I looked for the CD where I inserted the windows 8 disc, I right clicked open and looked for the setup icon and click setup. Then windows 8 disc loaded and when I got to choose the disc where I wanted to install it or format it, I got and error that I couldn't install on a Gpt, so Google how to convert from Gpt (to or from depends what the error say) you will have to hit shift f10, and then a command box came up and I watch the video how to convert, then it loaded windows 8, (when Windows 8 restart make sure you take out the usb
HP Recommended

In reply to:  omega83

Hi Omega:

Maybe this will get it straightened out for you . . .

Here are my notes, of how I stumbled through this, and have gotten everything to work.  It's a PDF I have uploaded to my Google documents (there is too much to paste here):

- - - - - - - - - -

BIOS-UEFI.pdf (9 pages) . . . https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6myy5leX6JwS0R4NzJ1THZ3ZGc

- - - - - - - - - -

What I go through is:

BIOS peculiarities

3 ways to get into Safe Mode

Boot Order - for System Repair Disc, Clonezilla, and Safe Mode

What to click on in Clonezilla

Recovery Drive vs. System Repair Disc

- - - - - - - - - -

Maybe look at the manufacturer's web page for your computer, and see if there is a more current BIOS . . . and / or set everything to the Default settings, and then try what I have.

HP Recommended

In reply to Robert-Floyd16 . . . https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Impossible-to-Disable-Secure-Bo...

New:  From what I see, Fast Boot can remain enabled, which is preferable:

BIOS Setup (F10) / Advanced / Boot Options /
. . . [un-check] Fast Boot / Save / Yes. . . Restart - 19 sec to Login, 19 sec to Natural Reader
. . . [check] Fast Boot / Save / Yes. . . Restart - 19 sec to Login, 19 sec to Natural Reader

Fast Boot apparently has to be set within Windows also:
. . . Control Panel / Power Options / Choose what the power buttons do
. . . Change settings that are currently unavailable / Shutdown settings /
. . . [check] Turn on fast startup (recommended) / Save

I don't see a difference in boot up speed, un-checked or checked.

I've read that they say to un-check it, as this can have a negative effect on making a clone, but I have left it checked, and Clonezilla and the System Repair Disc appear to work fine.

HP Recommended

I had this same exact issue. I was able to get this fixed by updating to the latest bios. After that all the secure boot settings would save and I was able to boot from USB.

HP Recommended

Hello,
I have a Prodesk 400 G3.
I upgraded from HD 500GB to SSD 240GB.
And I had the same problem with Omega83.
I tried everything that was possible.
Have you been able to solve this case?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Rafael, try this from my previous post (page 3), good luck!  

ISSUE RESOLVED:

My issue was after "enable legacy boot..." I was attempting to use the number pad w/out enabling it with the number lock key... You can also use the number keys on your top horizontol row of keyboard - you can tell the number key input is working becuase the numbers will display on the bios screen. 

Read the Effing Manual!!!
HP Recommended

To Disable Secure Boot, you first have to enable and create an Administrator BIOS password. Save changes and reboot, it will ask you to confirm disabling of secureboot. Do so and reboot, you can now boot from Windows 10 DVD and install your SSD hard disk. Enjoy. Don't know why HP and HP experts don't know about this...

HP Recommended
Joe4Jesus. That's really true? I bought to the Elitebook 840 G4 (waiting to arrive)... I confess that I'm really afraid of these non sense and obscure tricks that also the HP Experts don't know.

I still have the 840 G1 which is much less trickier.

So... @everyone... How do we proceed in order to install any OS from scratch (Windows 10, 7, Ubuntu, Manjaro)... on our new SSD Drive?

Would be nice to have a clean "final word" from an agreement between us as the last post on this thread.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.