Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Y6G65EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a forced shutdown, my laptop tries to restore continuously and the operating system does not start

15744990988771736444282661131151.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

HP Recommended

Hi, @Winang2010 

If the above steps suggested by Lil_Boy_Blue do not resolve the problem, you may have two other options...

You will need to have access to another working Windows PC for either of these options.

Use the HP Cloud Recovery client utility to create a bootable USB recovery drive to reinstall W10.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility. You will need to have access to another working Windows PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Your other option would be to clean install W10 by creating a bootable W10 installation flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool at the link below...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series/10862300

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help but W10 does not start. 

HP Recommended

I tried to reinstall W10 keeping my files but after two attempts I was back to zero. I absolutely want to save my files, especially my mail. I will try one of two recommended solutions, Paul 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You won't be able to retrieve any files using the first approach, but if you use the second approach, when you are asked 'Where do you want to install Windows,' you install it over the current windows installation and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs you can explore the windows.old folder, find your old user profile and copy and files you need from the old profile to the new one.

I usually just copy all of the folders from my old profile to the new one (Documents, Music, Downloads, Videos, etc.).

HP Recommended

Hi

To retrieve data, not using the W10 method

From 2016 onwards there is a possible recovery option via the cloud...
C:\>XCOPY C:\Users\* S:\ /e /i /h (then files like those 3 listed below get copied over)

C:\Users\desktop.ini
C:\Users\All Users\agent.1509128044.bdinstall.bin
C:\Users\All Users\HP Deskjet 2540 series\Help\flash\zoom.swf

but making a DVD/USB, ESC and F9 to boot from it, of Lubuntu 19:10, and waiting several minutes for a desktop to appear, then being able to view the HDD, and hopefully Drag and Drop your data onto another USB (mine is showing as openSUSE)  may be beneficial.

Hopefully a PNG is attached showing the possibility.

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.