Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion x2 10 j00na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hello , i'm running very slow windows 10 on an hp pavillion x2 10 j00na tablet and i want to install windows 8.1  
The problem is that the tablet can't find my usb stick already bootable with 8.1 ... what i should do / i don't have legacy boot in bios and secure boot is grey (and disabled) when i tried to run the setup in windows 10 / they say that the key product is invalid // but i tested in virtual machine and all running fine 
Any ideas? the os factory for the tablet is w8.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad that your notebook is pretty much back up and running again.

Yes, I would start a new topic on those issues if you installed the below drivers, and the devices don't work.

The Ambient Light Sensor driver enables the sensor in the system to automatically adjust the brightness of the backlighting of the screen. This preserves battery life and improves visibility of the screen display in supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68501-69000/sp68505.exe

This package provides the Intel Chipset, Graphics, Camera, and Audio Driver Pack for supported notebook models running a supported operating system. The Intel Chipset, Graphics, Camera and Audio driver pack provides drivers to support the hardware installed on systems with Intel processors.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70567.exe

Try manually installing the drivers if the auto install method doesn't work, by browsing from the device itself to where the driver files are located which would be in C:\SWSetup\sp68505 and 70567.

Make sure the include subfolders box is checked.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't help you with why you can't boot from the W8.1 installation media.  It should just work.

But if the only thing that is stopping you from installing W8.1 via the windows desktop is the product key, run the utility that I have zipped up and attached below which will show you the W8.1 product key and version of W8.1 that is in your PC's BIOS.

Make sure you have the correct version of W8.1 (regular, single language, Pro), that matches the description of the showkey plus report.

Then use the product key in the BIOS to install W8.1.

HP Recommended

so i should download the windows 8.1 from the microsoft and put my key, and it should work? i will try right now

HP Recommended

This app can't run on your PC 
To find a version of your pc , check with the software publisher. 
this is what i got

HP Recommended

I was afraid that you couldn't install an older version of Windows by running it from the desktop.

I wonder why you can't boot from the USB flash drive?

HP Recommended

can't boot for a long time /// actually the bios can't detect my usb flash drive ... but on the service all was fine ... maibe idk how to make an usb bootable ... the laptop is in uefi mod , right? i should boot with rufus in mbr or gpt ... and why the tablet don't detect the flash /// i don't have legacy boot and secure boot is grey (and disabled) 55641772_312204929466452_4352340980968456192_n.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I think you have to make a UEFI bootable W8.1 installer and select the boot from EFI file option.

If you did that and it didn't work, then I don't know what the issue could be.

I have only installed Windows in Legacy mode--even on newer PC's that have the UEFI option.

That is because I will never have any HDD's larger than 2 TB where UEFI is required for a drive >2 TB to be used as a boot drive.

HP Recommended

so i was using another program to find my bios key and works! i was looking to my product in HP official site and find that i need windows 8.1 bing edition ( don't exist in microsoft for now ) 
1. I should install windows 8.1 pro with that key  ( idk if works)
2. download windows 8.1 bing edition from filelist ( idk if it's a good ideea, but i will install for first in virtual box)
3. try to boost windows 10 32 bit pro ( this is what i have right now ) and keep it 
Thanks in advance for the ideea of the bios key / you are a genius 🙂 

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no official download for W8.1 with Bing.

However you see how you can get it from this site...toward the bottom of the page.

https://www.pcsteps.com/210-download-windows-8-1/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.