Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy4 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently I have had several sudden power downs. I have had my Laptop for about 7 years with flawless operation. Several years ago I had this type of occurrence, but they seemed to die down. Recently I have had a slew of them, and not too sure what is going on. Basically everything is working, and then the Laptop just shuts down immediately as if the power were disconnected. The Windows alarm record says "Kernel-Power Event ID41. Can I troubleshoot this in a simple way? Thanks.hpenvy4_events.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MK:
Thanks for getting back to me. I checked the bugcheck code and it was $0. So I assume that there was a clean power  break. I reset the power saver option to HP reommended/"never" all options. I will monitor for overheating as well.

Best Regards

J.Clark

System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 2       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000000000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2017-08-30T18:29:19.707212600Z
      EventRecordID 589409       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer hp_laptop     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress false     PowerButtonTimestamp 0

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jclark_09

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Envy 4 series laptop. I read that after several sudden shutdowns, there is an error "Kernel-Power Event ID41" in the event viewer. Also, the laptop just shuts down immediately as if the power were disconnected. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I did some research and came across this Microsoft article which can help in fixing this issue. I recommend you to try the suggested steps and let me know how it goes. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

MK:

Thanks for the article reference. I will check it out! I have done a RAM check so far, and will go through some other tests. I will let you how how it works out. Thanks again!

J.Clark

HP Recommended

@jclark_09

The pleasure is all mine. 

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

Feel free to let me know. Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

MK:
Thanks for getting back to me. I checked the bugcheck code and it was $0. So I assume that there was a clean power  break. I reset the power saver option to HP reommended/"never" all options. I will monitor for overheating as well.

Best Regards

J.Clark

System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 2       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000000000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2017-08-30T18:29:19.707212600Z
      EventRecordID 589409       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer hp_laptop     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress false     PowerButtonTimestamp 0
HP Recommended

@jclark_09

You're welcome. 🙂

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

Sure, feel free to keep me posted. Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.