Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DV6-6126SL
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

CHANGED THE HARD DISK AND NEED TO REINSTALL WINDOW7, HOW CAN i GET THE RECOVERY DISK?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes absolutely. Just go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download a disk image for Windows 10 and burn a DVD or make a thumb drive. Windows 10 activates in a completely new way. The activation servers keep a record of every computer ever activated with Windows 10. When you are installing Windows 10 and it asks for a Key Code just keep saying you don't have it and go forward. As soon as you connect to the internet, assuming it was activated and you reinstall the same version (Home or Pro) the server will just activate you. Odds are the drivers will be installed but if you are missing anything come back and we can help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

HP will not have them any more. You can go to a third party site like 

http://computersurgeons.com/

There are also still some "mirror" links to Windows 7 OEM images Microsoft USED To make available. 

Post back with any more questions. I hestitate to post all the options since I don't know what you are willing and able to do. Was the laptop ever upgraded to Windows 10? If so reinstall is MUCH easier. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for you reply.

My situation is that the old hard disk is not working and I do not have any backuo or recovery disk.

I bought a new hard disk but of course it's empty.

I got the windows license nbr and so on, would like to install windows7 from recovery disk if available.

HP Recommended

I understand all that. HP no longer stocks Windows 7 recovery disks. Microsoft closed down the site where you used to be able to get Windows 7 disk images that would work with OEM Key Codes like yours. You have to get a disk that is an OEM version of your Windows 7 type...likely 64 bit Home Premium. 

You can buy an HP recovery set for your laptop from the vendor I linked above. We can point you to some "mirror" sites of the old Microsoft file servers, but there is some risk in that, or you can try find a Windows 7 OEM disk on eBay or similar venue. 

As I said, if you ever did the free Windows 10 upgrade and the laptop was activated with Windows 10 you can reinstall that without a Key Code. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

my laptop model is dv6-6126sl and I didn't find any recovery kit in the site you mentioned.

Anyway, I did the free Windows 10 upgrade and the laptop was activated with Windows 10.

I'm not an expert at all, do you say I can reinstall windows without a Key Code?

it would be great!!

HP Recommended

Yes absolutely. Just go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download a disk image for Windows 10 and burn a DVD or make a thumb drive. Windows 10 activates in a completely new way. The activation servers keep a record of every computer ever activated with Windows 10. When you are installing Windows 10 and it asks for a Key Code just keep saying you don't have it and go forward. As soon as you connect to the internet, assuming it was activated and you reinstall the same version (Home or Pro) the server will just activate you. Odds are the drivers will be installed but if you are missing anything come back and we can help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I'll try that this evening and let you go.

Thank you for now!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.