Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 14-df0023cl laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an  HP 14-df0023cl laptop running Windows 10 which fails to start after an HP BIOS update.  After trying the Windows + B method, the laptop booted into a BIOS recovery screen, but then the same thing happened again after restart.  Now, Windows + B does not even succeed in loading a recovery screen.  The laptop LED lights do not activate except for the "on" light on the side of the device (and the AC power light when the adapter is plugged in). 

The machine can be turned "on" and "off" as indicated by the light, but there is no screen activity (not even flickering), no beeps or noises, and no indication of any other activity. Other techniques such as Windows + V or Esc + F10 also do nothing. I have unplugged the internal battery and plugged it back in, but this did not change anything. 

Any ideas or theories are appreciated.  I note again that the BIOS recovery process did "work" once, but only once, and now it cannot seem to be activated again.  I am at a loss about how to proceed. I have tried holding down the power button for an extended time with the AC adapter unplugged, but this did not change anything, either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @jsmith898 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try with the USB recovery option as described in the official article for such issues >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hello @jsmith898 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try with the USB recovery option as described in the official article for such issues >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Just a note aside - for future references - general recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updating and just for using the latest version is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who released it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much; this method was successful.  I appreciate your advice.  For some reason, the BIOS updates were being done automatically, but I changed that setting.

HP Recommended

@jsmith898 wrote:

Thank you very much; this method was successful.  I appreciate your advice.  For some reason, the BIOS updates were being done automatically, but I changed that setting.

You are very welcome, I am really glad you saved your PC and that it is back to life 🙂

Even set to manual - you should always consider IF/whether to update the BIOS - sometimes it may not be necessary. In addition to my opinion already posted above, here is another one >> https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

Hope this helps !

Thank you for choosing HP !

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with this laptop model and received the update automatically yesterday.

I have been unable to apply the USB recovery option.

I have tried to extract the bios drivers and the program has failed on two different windows 7 computers.

The SP95066.exe program runs and begins extracting but fails to complete on both laptops.  I have also tried older versions of the bios setup and they also fail.

Can you please provide the specific files to copy to the USB drive for the recovery option for this model 14- df0023cl so I can try the USB recovery.

HP Recommended

@Rp60 

Try downloading the .exe file again to exclude any potential corruption during the previous download.

Then, if the issue re-appears, you may use software like WinRAR (rarlab.com ) or 7-zip  (7-zip.org) to extract the SP .exe file

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help and suggestion.

I downloaded again and extracted the file insdeflash.exe but this file also crashes when I run it on my older Win 7 laptop.  I don’t have access to any other windows computers to try to create the USB recovery flash drive.

If someone could provide the files that are copied to the USB drive that would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @Rp60 

I did this for you and ran the appropriate file to extract the content.

Here is a link with an archive with all the files that must be on a USB pendrive >> https://we.tl/t-dtFOg1B1t5

Download the .zip archive and extract the files. There are 6 files inside. When asked, the archive password is hp

You must format and later use a USB pendrive. This USB pendrive must be formatted in FAT32 file system and its volume label must be called HP_TOOLS

Here are instructions how to do it >> https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/

Once the USB drive is formatted and called HP_TOOLS, make sure you copy all these 6 files from the archive to the USB drive.

Let me know if it works/helps - your feedback is appreciated

HP Recommended

Hi @IT_WinSec

Thanks a lot for providing the bios files.

I was able to create the USB recovery drive.

The pen drive was accessed and the 2 steps of applying the bios file and then verifying the file completed successfully.

However after that this the screen indicated it would restart and complete the bios update but it just restarts and then remains on with a blank screen.

I also did the USB recovery steps a second time and once again it worked on the first two steps or applying and verifying the bios recovery but then rebooted and did not further respond.

I guess at this point since it is under warranty I could ship it to HP but welcome any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks so much for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.