Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Getting message boot device not found, install an operating system on your hard disk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@moestudent 

Sounds like the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

This link contains information to solve common problems during initialization (http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup), at most times the computer detects an error in some components or system, in the form of a code or message, alerting the user because of the problem to be easy to identify and solve.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

180 REPLIES 180
HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive may have failed. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least as large a capacity as the original to use HP Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows. For instance if you have a 320gb hdd you could use a 500gb but not a 250gb hdd.

Enter BIOS setup by tapping/holding the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop.Use Diagnostics to test your hdd.

If you need more help please post back with full Model number and Product number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.(may be under battery)

HP Recommended
Yes g you may be right. It's a hp g72 did the test it said no bootable device hard drive failure. Pulled hard drive you can feel it running holding it in your hand when u power it up but not reading the data, funny it never slowed or had any glitches good one second dead the next. Did have some of my stuff backed up, but as always some was not, do you think any of the data is now retrievable .
HP Recommended

If the hdd has any life left in it you may be able to plug it into another laptop or desktop via usb port and copy files off to the hdd of host machine. You can use a > USB HDD Enclosure or >  USB Adapter.

The Adapter also  works with other devices you may want to plug into another machine-CD/DVD drive, 3.5" desktop hdd or 2.5" laptop hdd.

HP Recommended
Thanks for all your help G. You are great
HP Recommended

laptop says failure id

QOFM6W-0006RK-XD03HA-C0DW03

HP Recommended

laptop wont start up

HP Recommended

@monomares 

Read my first Reply above to original poster- applies to your issue also.

HP Recommended

my Paviljon dv6 2140ED doesn't start up anymore. System- and memory test is okay. Hard disk not reconised. What can I do to start my laptop without formating en losing all my data?

HP Recommended
mine is doing the same....out of the blue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.