Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11-ak0001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

It seems I have a similar 'low storage space available' problem that many users have that have purchased a 32Gb Stream. Unfortunately, my wife has also got one with the same issue, now.

Following many suggestions on Forums etc. I have carried out and exhausted ALL avenues to remove unwanted files; Apps and programmes etc.

Ultimately, I have moved all my personal info onto an External Hard Drive and decided to reset my laptop to factory settings.

However, to achieve this, an error message still pops up requiring another 2.73Gb free space to even reset!!!!!???

It's impossible for me to achieve that.

I'm not computer literate but I am competent enough to have removed everything suggested that I am sure does not compromise the workings, and I am happy to reset my laptop to factory settings and start again using my External Hard Drive for future storage. I was surprised that after removing several previous Windows updates that were historic, the available space actually reduced, not increased!!!

The latest suggestion I haven't actually tried is sourcing an MS recovery stick. But is this just an update/Upgrade process for Windows 10?

I'm not looking for updates or upgrades. I want to start from scratch. Is it possible? 

Just to repeat. I am looking for a solution that allows me to Reset my laptop to factory settings despite the error message requiring 2.73Gb that currently pops up - Using plain English, please.

Regards

Phil Dutton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dutton 

The term "unfit for a particular purpose" is a LEGAL term and we are not permitted to comment in any way on legal issues. 

Additionally, 32GB is NOT a "misleading number" because that is the capacity of the SSD that is mounted in your system.  Windows OS and system files take up a lot of that, as do Windows Updates which do not get cleaned up automatically.

No representation of any kind is made by HP regarding the amount of "remaining usable space" in the 32GB SSD, even though it is quite limited.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

On a PC with the 32G chip as the hard drive, the most promising is to install Windows 10 from the MS site and do a clean install.  In other words tell the installation software to wipe out the previous install and do a clean install.  Using the MS tool from here and making the USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Using a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions for the USB creation.

Then boot to the new media and install a clean version of Windows 10.  This will install the latest Windows 10.  MS states that Windows 10 can install on 32G but most likely there will be limited storage space and most likely future updates will cause problems again.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@Dutton 

While resetting it does clean up the space, once you start using it again, it will rapidly fill up again.

By using the suggestions below, you can remove the unneeded space on a regular basis.

Here are some things you can do to recover some of the disk space:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Also, the community Win10 Forums has the following suggestions:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83441-free-up-drive-space-windows-10-a.html

In addition, I have found the utility Cleanmgr+ to have LOTS of options for removing Windows junk, including log files. I use it practically every day. You can get it from here:
https://www.mirinsoft.com/cleanmgrplus

Also, there is a freeware app known as Wise Disk Cleaner. I use it every day to get rid of junk files: https://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html

HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood.

I have clicked on all your suggestions.

I'm not brave enough to try all of them, but the ones I tried have given minimal space.

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

Many thanks (I can’t address you as ‘The Old Man’ - it’s disrespectful).

I have created the Windows 10 reboot programme onto a USB that you provided the link for. It seems to have loaded okay. I will attempt the reboot tomorrow and let you know the outcome. 

I realise future updates may create the same issue and I am wondering if these 32Gb devices are really unfit for purpose as in reality 32Gb is a misleading number as the remaining useable space is probably less than 10Gb. 

Regardless, your advice is very much appreciated and fingers crossed, I may actually get a useable device back tomorrow. 

Bye for now. 

HP Recommended

@Dutton 

The term "unfit for a particular purpose" is a LEGAL term and we are not permitted to comment in any way on legal issues. 

Additionally, 32GB is NOT a "misleading number" because that is the capacity of the SSD that is mounted in your system.  Windows OS and system files take up a lot of that, as do Windows Updates which do not get cleaned up automatically.

No representation of any kind is made by HP regarding the amount of "remaining usable space" in the 32GB SSD, even though it is quite limited.

HP Recommended

Good morning.

I started this enquiry as I have a genuine issue with an HP device. I didn't want a reprimand.

32Gb is a misleading number.

Whilst 'No representation of any kind is made by HP' as to the purchasers actual usable space on the equipment, my BMW car is advertised with 136bhp and it doesn't rob me of 90bhp; my pint of beer doesn't only have a third of a pint in the glass and my wife's fitness magazine does indeed have over 100 pages as advertised on the front.

When I 'Googled' Low disc space on my HP Stream there are 4,980,000 returns. Doesn't that indicate that there is a very genuine issue with the lack of usable space on this device?

I repeat, I was grateful for your initial response and tried many of your suggestions. I have now decided to do a clean install as suggested by another contributor.

However, as I do not wish to continue this stream with you I am going to click the 'Accept as Solution' button and move on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.