Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 110-243w Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, a couple days ago, our other computer failed to boot. It would bring up the HP logo and then just stop there. Doing 3 hard reboots in a row bring up a screen that says "Preparing auto repairs" but then it just sits on that screen forever.

Also, I don't know if this is a clue or just a coincidence, but a week or 2 before this, 2 of the USB ports suddenly stopped working. I had to move the keyboard and mouse to  different ports. But I digress.

Unplugging the hard drive and powering up finally brought me to a screen that allowd me to test memory and the hard drive itself. I plugged the hard drive back in. It passed both the quick and smart check.

Memory quick check failed.

Failure ID: Q0FQ3S-7JG9H8-9VRV61-007U03

Product ID: F3D23AAR#ABA

So, I'm not really a computer guy, I just stumbled into getting this far. What does this mean? Do I need to replace my memory? What's my next step here in solving this issue?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the support page for that PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04108287

Indicated there, it shows two memory slots but it is unclear if the are two memory cards or one.  If there are two, then remove one and run the memory test again.  If that one fails, try the other one.  Usually only one will have failed.  If there is only one, then you can replace with one or get two, depending on the amount of memory you wish to buy.  It can - Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit systems

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the support page for that PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04108287

Indicated there, it shows two memory slots but it is unclear if the are two memory cards or one.  If there are two, then remove one and run the memory test again.  If that one fails, try the other one.  Usually only one will have failed.  If there is only one, then you can replace with one or get two, depending on the amount of memory you wish to buy.  It can - Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit systems

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you. This one currently just has one memory card. I may buy two depending on price, but will buy a new one at the least. THat should solve this problem and allow the computer to function normally again?

Another silly question. Is memory and ram the same thing? Or rather, what is the difference, if any?

HP Recommended

Yes, ram and memory are the same.

Here is what the support page indicates

• Single channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs

Here is what the Crucial site says

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-110-243w

These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com

If you wish to only purchase one 8GB, put it in the same slot the original card was in.  If buying two, buy a matched pair. ( two of the same type and cat#)  You do not have to buy from them but that part is up to you.

Edit: I forgot to answer the other question.  That is assuming the only problem is a ram failure

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you again. You've been beyond helpful. 

Thanks to you, I learned a few new things. 

I'll update when I get the new memory to let anyone who is interested know that it is fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi, So, I went and got the correct ram to replace mine and unfortunately, my computer is still doing the same thing.

On power up,  it gets to the HP logo and just sits there indefinitely. Even the guy at the computer store agreed the issue was the ram. But putting a new one in, seems to have not fixed it.

Any other ideas?

On pwer up, I can hear the drivers and hard drive spinning up and stuff. I just am truly stumped here

HP Recommended

In the first post, there is mention of other things going on besides the ram diagnostics failing.  I suspect that we are back to the original problem again.  Bad ram would/should not cause the USB ports to fail.  Failing three starts in a row would bring up the repair screen.  If that is all the farther it will go, then the next thing is to get the Windows install media and then boot to that to see if the repair part of the install media can fix it.  Then, of course try an install from the Windows 10 media.

You can make the Windows 10 install media from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Then boot the problem PC to this install media.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.