Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6530 Microsoft key number
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I need help with acquiring my Microsoft key number for my refurbished HP laptop. Is there a phone number I can call to get this because it wasn't in my battery or battery compartment in the laptop and I really need the windows keys thanks for the help in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

If your notebook came with W8 or newer, the product key is in the BIOS.

Microsoft ended product key labels when W8 came out in 2012.

HP Recommended

I have the serial number but you said not to post it. How do I get the windows key number? Please help. Model # 17GO77CL.  Product # MSR 07UARABA Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it originally came with W8.1 64 bit from HP.

HP Pavilion 17-g077cl (Touch) Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

As I posted yesterday, since your notebook came with W8.1, the product key is in the BIOS.

If your notebook is currently operational and you want to know what the product key is, download and install the free Showkey Plus utility from the Microsoft Store.

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

If you ever need to reinstall W10, all you need to do is to use the Microsoft media creation tool at the link below to create bootable W10 installation media.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once your notebook is connected to the internet.  You do not enter the W8.1 product key or the W10 digital license product key from the showkey plus report.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g077cl Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you again for all your help!

My laptop is currently not operational and when I had it I had I had Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10. Will the steps that you gave me still work because I don't want to get stuck when I'm reinstalling in the next day?

If those steps are not going to work what's my option to reinstall Windows 10?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you had previously upgraded from W7 to W10, you can still use the same procedure to reinstall W10 for free.

Just select the 'I don't have a product key' option if you are asked to enter a product key.

HP Recommended

Thank you again.

I don't believe the path exist anymore for upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Can you please send me the link so I can for sure not have any hiccups when I'm reinstalling or upgrading to Windows 10 from my laptop which needs a new hard drive?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Once the PC has been upgraded from W7, W8 or W8.1 to Windows 10, you do not need to reinstall the older operating system to upgrade back to W10.

Just make the W10 installation media using the media creation tool and select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate since the Microsoft activation servers have a record of the PC having previously being upgraded.

I have used this same approach many times on my PCs that came with W7 and W8.1.

I can't even count how many times.   A lot.

HP Recommended

Okay thanks again!

It won't matter that I'm putting a new hard drive on the laptop that's not going to be impacted at all with going to Windows 10? I want to make sure there's no hiccups with reinstalling.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Most of my W10 reinstalls have been on new solid state drives when I removed the slowpoke mechanical hard drives from.

The only time you would have a problem would be if you replaced the motherboard.

Hard drives, memory, etc., no impact on W10 reinstallations.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.