Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 13
Linux

I just got an envy x360 and installed Ubuntu. Trying to suspend, I only get a black screen, but the computer is still running (fan is spinning). From what I gathered after some searches and a bit of tinkering, it seems that's caused by the bios not reporting the supported sleep states to the OS correctly.

Here's the output of cat /sys/power/mem_sleep on the envy:

[s2idle]

Compared to this on my other machine which works fine:

s2idle [deep]

There's also this relevant line from dmesg:

ACPI: (supports S0 S4 S5)

Compared to the working machine:

ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the laptop does actually support S3, so it does in fact look like a bios issue to me.

Here's some more info that might be relevant:

The specific model is 13-ay0003nc (Ryzen 7 4700U, 16GB ram)

I updated the bios to the latest revision available on the hp website: F.12 Rev.A

The distribution I'm using is Ubuntu 20.04

I tried patching the acpi tables as suggested in various places around the internet, but to no avail. (I'm no expert when it comes to that sort of thing though, so I may have done something wrong...)

I'd much appreciate any kind of fix for this, as it makes the laptop largely unusable for me, which is a shame, since I really like it otherwise...

EDIT: I guess I should mention I'm running kernel version 5.8.3

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

"me too".

For me it is on the 15-inch envy x360, with AMD Ryzen 3500u.

Same symptoms, Bios does not report S3-suspend

# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep on the envy:

[s2idle]

# dmesg | grep -i acpi | grep supports
[ 0.417055] ACPI: (supports S0)
[ 0.427471] acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC: OS supports [ExtendedConfig ASPM ClockPM Segments MSI EDR HPX-Type3]

From what I read, the cause is that windows 10 introduced the new 'modern suspend' mode "s0ix", which is mutually exclusive with S3-suspend-to-ram.
I would prefer if HP released a BIOS-update that allows one to switch the advertised suspend mode between "windows 10" and "classic S3", similar to how Lenovo did this for their ThinkPad X1 line.
(See UEFI 1.30 release notes here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n23ur11w.txt )

HP Recommended

I just tried updating the bios to the latest revision again (F.13 Rev.A), but it's still broken. This is quite annoying... I'm starting to regret not returning the laptop while I still could and getting something that has basic functions like this working instead 😐 Also the bios update process itself is really stupid which just makes it even more frustrating... Is it really that hard to just give me the image so I can plop it on a flash drive, instead of having to run two exes on a windows machine, which I only have limited access to? I don't think I'll be buying hp again after this amazing experience...

HP Recommended

Just chiming in here to say that I have an HP Envy x360 Ryzen 7 4700u with similar "sleep" issues in Ubuntu 20.04. I have been trying to fix it through kernel upgrades, etc, but it has been a pain and is not fully working yet. I likewise wish that I had returned the otherwise awesome computer (other than the keyboard not being centered) since it does not seem that HP cares to support Ubuntu, and this was why the machine was purchased. Could HP please add more support personnel to making sure these issues are resolved so users can use their choice of OS on the hardware?

HP Recommended

Another update, it seems there is also missing driver support for AMD-s2idle in the linux kernel.

It's being added as part of the 5.11 development cycle.

Intel works, which is why we are seeing reports that 'modern suspend' works on some laptops.

Apparently, there are vendor/hardware-specific differences between the suspend-routines.

To handle these differences, the Bios provides "_DSM" routines ("Device Specific Methods") in the ACPI tables.

these _DSM methods MUST be executed during the suspend transistions to tell the hardware what to do.

Intel has written drivers for their _DSM methods, for intel-hardware, in the original linux implementation, but the AMD support is lagging behind. 😞

The catch-up to also support the AMD _DSM ACPI methods is being done in the linux 5.11 kernel cycle.

Phoronix has a little coverage, that may provide more details

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-SoC-PMC-Driver-Linux-5.11

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-S2idle-ACPI-Linux-5.11

So, so summarize:

- Microsoft introduced "modern suspend/s0ix/s2idle" in a way that breaks backward compatibility with "classic" S3-sleep

- Intel added "modern suspend"-support to the linux kernel, but only for their own hardware

- HP uses modern suspend, thereby choosing to lose S3 support, and thus all support for all OSes that are not windows 10.

- support for AMD-"modern suspend" is only now being added to the driver, in kernel 5.11

HP Recommended

Just compiled the kernel 5.11.2 and it still doesn't work. I find it very disappointing that notebook doesn't have the S3 sleep. It is like the car without seats. HP, please add it to the BIOS, it is the functionality that is working for years so why have you removed it from the BIOS? Other manufacturers provide the option to enable it in BIOS so I'm thinking about returning it and buy another from manufacturer that thinks on their customers.

HP Recommended

OK, i have compiled kernel 5.12 rc 2 and it seems to work at least the s2idle mode. The computer wakes up. But it doesn't mean i'm satisfied, S3 would be better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.