Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

mystery to me as well.  I usually look up most stuff on web and read to get the knowledge 

I baffles the hell out of me too.  I just clicked on 32 bit for **bleep**s and giggles and wow it loaded up. But when I asked for product key the only one I have is for my 64 bit Windows 10 Pro hopefully there will be no conflicts.  Be interesting what installs 32 or 64 bit. Time will tell.  Again Paul thank you for all you assistance I will keep you posted as to how this plays out 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The key should work for both bit versions.

HP Recommended

Paul

good news to report it’s up and running.  
now to set everything back up again and allot of reinstalling and downloading.  

it say Windows 10 Pro 

32 bit / x64 processor

8.00 GB Ram 

wonder if I should rerun installation CD and see if it take the 64 bit version ??

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Since you have 8 GB of memory installed, I would give the 64 bit OS another shot.

However, now that you have a working Windows PC, try the media creation tool and make the bootable USB flash drive installer and see if that works instead of the DVD.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Paul

I downloaded the media tool and tried to use it but message say not compatible at this time so i did a little digging on Hp and they say in order for me to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit i need to format the hard drive and i am not sure i want to do that without your assistants once again i want to make sure i format the correct drive/drives so your assistance would be helpful.

Thank you 

Jeffrey

HP Recommended

Hi, Jeffrey:

I didn't know you couldn't create the 64 bit media with a 32 bit system.

You would be in a 'catch 22' situation if you formatted the drive.

You would have no operating system to create the media with, so I guess you don't have any other option but to try the 64 bit DVD again.

At least if that doesn't work, you can reinstall W10 32 bit.

HP Recommended

i did create the 64-bit usb media from Microsoft's online site. it starts the setup process and get 1% of the way into coping file and stops. 

I ran and reran a bunch of diagnostic tests on the HD, and they all come back say PASSED. - this laptop always ran the 64-bit version of any windows operating system I have had on it and never really had any issues with it in the 10 years i have had.  There must be a reason that it is not allow the 64-bit version to be installed. 

I need to get it to install the 64-bit version cause every piece of software I have purchased copies of are to support a 64-version of the OS.   Can the entire HD be reformatted and the try to reinstall the windows 64-bit OS or am I asking for more than I want?  I really would like to get this machine back up to normal.  What are your thoughts? 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have no idea why you can't install W10 x64 via the installation media.

I do have an idea though to install W10 in a roundabout way.

Can you still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your notebook's case?

If so, make bootable W7 64 bit Home Premium installation media from the link below...toward the bottom of the page.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

Use that Microsoft tool I attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as rufus.

If W7 x64 will install, then click on the blue Update Now button at the link below to get the free upgrade to W10 Home 64 bit.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

This link explains how/why you can still get the free upgrade to W10...

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Then if this all works, and you have an activated copy of W10 Home 64 bit, you upgrade to W10 Pro as follows...

• Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation .

• Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.

• Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.