Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hello,

My presario cq62 also has refused to start for me. When I turn on the laptop, the power light is blue, and the caps lock key flashes once and after a couple seconds flashes once again and so on. The f12 key remains a solid orange. Judging by the codes and everything, it sounds like I have a CPU problem. (I disconnected the battery and adapter, waited up to 30 seconds and tried to restart after reconnecting. No luck.) Before the fan was running, but now it isn't. If I do have a CPU problem, I'm not sure where to move from here. I have a refurbished model and purchased it about 2 and a half years ago, so I figured it was just a matter of time before something happened since the battery doesn't hold a full charge anymore either. Any information that may help would be greatly appreciated and I hope I've provided enough information. Thanks for your time.
HP Recommended

Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

heyal,

i too have a problem with my compaq presario cq62-231nr, the battery wasn't charging and was a replacement from the orginal battery that just died.  the laptop will only boot if the battery is taken out and left out, if i have battery in it only gets to the orange screen and stays there it gives you an option for getting in to boot mode or bios but will only get to the command and no further.

can anyone tell me why and what may be the problem? its annoying that the battery won't charge and its flabbergasted me on why it will only boot if the battery remains out of the laptop.

please help!!!!

southern belle

HP Recommended

Hi Southern-Belle,

I understand that you are having an issue with charging the battery, and fully starting your computer when the battery is plugged in. To start of the best steps that you could follow, are in the document 'Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge'. This document will take you through the different troubleshooting for the battery and power cord. As well it will also test the functionality of the hardware.

Please let me know how this works out for you, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Aloha Belle,

I have the same problems with my Compaq. The only I can help with is with the battery charging problem. Honestly, I'd just take my battery out then put it back in and that worked for me. Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

SOLUTION

Hi guys, I found a solution for the following problem: "I try to turn it on, but the fans kick in and then quickly shutoff, and the computer just has the F12 light on with caps lock flashing. It won't boot, and taking the battery out and trying to restart wont do anything"

So this happened to me, and what I found out is if you let it try to boot, then close the lid, and let it sit for a while (i.e. 12 hours) it will slowly heat up. At this point (12 hours later) the fans will be on high and the comp will be hot. Now if you shut it off and turn it back on it boots! It may take a windows restore to get it right again, but if you leave it for long enough the computer actually will boot. 

The problem is if you let it turn off or turn it off yourself it may not boot again, reverting to the original problem. However, just like before if you turn it on and leave it for an hour or two to let it get hot, then turn it off and on, it'll boot up. It's like the thing needs to be physically warm before loading, I have no idea why this is but I know it works. 

Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

Just like all the rest, my Presario CQ62 will not start.  My symptoms have not been described in this thread or anywhere else.  I have a Presario CQ62, model XG958UA#ABA, System Board 1484, Bios F.26.

Symptoms are fans come on I heard the CD ROM cycle, the Caps Lock light come on briefly then goes out and stays out.  The F12 is lite and orange and the power light is orange and steady on.  The orange Compaq screen comes on for a few seconds and flaches off to a black screen.  Then a few bright streaks of light and the orange screen again and a continues cycle.  I have pressed the ESC into System startup menu, and have run the diagnostics, the first time received and error.  I don't remember the exact error code but google said it was generally a hard drive.  I have since successful run all tests without errors  I have reseated memory  I have removed the battery and held the power button down for 15 seconds, no change.

Basically, I can't get off 1st base.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  This month after 8 years of using my Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Notebook, I had the same problem with exact same symptoms, a stalled-startup where the power on light lit up, the F12 (network) light orange (not blue), and the caps lock light blinking on and off.  After reading your message, I started the computer and left the fan running to heat up the computer.  (I won't say what I did to get it to heat up faster because it is probably a fire hazard and you have to be careful).  I tried starting it after 15 min when the computer felt warm but not hot and it didn't boot up.  Then again after  30 min, this time it felt warmer, on the verge of hot.  And this time it was able to boot up as usual.  I was able to access the harddisk and transfer all files to my new laptop.  Sayanara, old Compaq.  You were ready to be retired and you served me well these past 8 years.  I don't know what the problem is either but your suggestion sure worked and I thank you for it.

HP Recommended

I know it's been a long time since I've navigated back to this site, but I want to try one last time to find the issue that's keeping my laptop from working. The product number is: XC433UAR#ABA. Please let me know if there's anything else that you may need. Thanks again!

Update: I removed the RAM and battery and let it sit for awhile. I placed all of that back in, and it didn't work. The laptop felt a little warm to the touch. Not sure why but I waited about 15 minutes or so and turned it on again. This time, the Compaq symbol came up on the screen and said press ESC for start up. I did so, but the fan is not running and it is just stuck on this screen. Not sure if that changes anything, but wanted to provide this information.

HP Recommended

Hello

Have a problem with my Compaq Presario CQ62-229SC. Browsed forum against my issue and found some similar and tried to follow the solution but unfortunately with no lack:(.

The issue. No light is on when power pack is plugged the same with battery. Tried with different power pack, no joy. Stripped laptop and measured with meter if motherboard reciving the juice. There is 19.25V coming to the socket on main. Tried pressing power push button several times for 120, 60, 30 eyc sec with power and battery disconnected. The laptop still dead. Tried magic trick with power button with and without RAM and hard disc. Checked even the microswitch if is switching, all ok but unit light less:(. 

Just before this happened to me I done the memory test and run test from BIOS point. After few hrs wanted to start up. Screen went on little cursor in the top left corner. Was sitting there for few minutes so I thought its freezed up. Start to pressing power button but nothing happened. Removed power pack and battery to shut it off and never ever go back on again. 

Can you please give me any suggestion what else can I check? Thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.