Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP laptop is not getting charged when it is on..only charges when it is turned off..Battery is alright because I attached my laptop battery to my friend's HP laptop and it was charging fine on my friend's laptop even when it was in use..I also tried reinstalling the Windows 10 in case there was any driver issue but the problem still persists. Please suggest what should I do...because battery is fine..no issues in drivers as reinstalled the operating system..what might be the problem if there is not any issue in software as well as hardware..please help and advise

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @anish52,

There may be problems with the AC adapter. Please try the following tests so that we can determine if this is truly the case.

HP UEFI Hardware Diagnostics:

1. Turn off the laptop
  2. Press the power button and repeatedly press the Esc button
  3. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  4. Select the desired language
  5. Navigate to component tests
  6. Select Power Source Test or AC adapter

Note that the above steps may vary depending on the configuration and some tests may not be available.

HP Support Assistant (HPSA) Battery Test

1. Open HP Support Assistant
  2. Select the Battery Test
  3. Select Show Advanced Information at the end of the test
  4. Please upload a screenshot

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi Eddy,

IMG_20200525_121540__01.jpg

Thanks for your response. However, I couldn't find the component test in the System Diagnostics so I went for the other method that you advised about. I am attaching the advanced information of the battery check with this reply. Please look into this and advise if something is wrong and also what needs to be done. 

Kind Regards,

Anish

HP Recommended

Apologies for the late reply @anish52,

The battery does seem to be somewhat degraded considering the full charge capacity is now almost only half of its original capacity.

Could you try installing the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics here, and then follow the instructions listed under Test the battery using HP Hardware Diagnostics (preferred method) here?

If you get a Failure ID and you are under warranty, you can contact HP for support options:

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Regardless, it may be in your best interest to replace the battery.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.