Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I installed windows 10 last week and after that my laptop won't turn off when I click shut down and the screen just gets black and I should press the power button to turn it off.

I tried some ways that I found in youtube but none of them worked so please tell me the effective way .

What should I do ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
  1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  Smiley Happy

--DanG

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

wait for Microsoft to fix their ACPI issues with drivers?

HP Recommended

I have had the same issue, with no answer.  However, I found when I press the shift key while it is shutting down, it will shut down completly.  I too hope there is a solution soon from HP and or Microsoft, but until then the shift key will have to do.   Press shift key + Shut down and hold the shift key until it **bleep**s all of the way down...

Good luck to us!

Paul

HP Recommended
  1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  Smiley Happy

--DanG

HP Recommended

Thankyou so much for your solution 

It works for me:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

@_shayann_ wrote:

Thankyou so much for your solution 

It works for me:smileyvery-happy:

You're welcome.  🙂  Glad to hear it!

HP Recommended

I am sorry but this is not the fix to the problem. It may be a temporary patch that is helping some people. I have the same Sleep mode issues but mine has improved from 100% failure to one in ten. My computer does not freeze up instead it shuts down.

Not the end of the world for me, just aggravating as I don't understand why.

So why am I saying that the solution proposed is not the fix.

Because I have an older HP Envy with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 820Q CPU @ 1,73FHz

My computer does not support the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) It is not in my device Manager under System Devices, I went to the HP website and tried to download and install it, it said my device did not support it.

So it can not be the root cause of the problem. Not if computers that do not have the capability still have the same issue.

HP Recommended
Mine is stuck in the shutting down blue screen....it acts like it's shutting down and it doesnt. I have windows 10....my laptop is the newest 2n1 tablet hp laptop...I can't download anything bcz it's stuck. Please help
HP Recommended

Hi

Not sure this will help....

I have created a shortcut on my desktop to ShutDown

This is calling the \windows\system32\shutdown.exe with /f to force /s shutdown /t 1 in 1 second

shutdown.exe /f /s /t 1

Nowhere near elegant, but effective.

The shutdown help lists alternatives.

HP Recommended
@Heatherking79,

Your solution is way easier than any of this. I have a new laptop, as well. Use your warranty. Chat with the HP techs, and they will fix it for you. I had this issue on my Pavilion 17-series, running Windows 10. They took control of my laptop and typed a command in the command line console. I wish I had written it down. Totally fixed it for me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.