Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6-6c35dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need to wipe the HDD and do a fresh install of Win7 after someone attempted an OS upgrade without my knowledge and partially crippled the laptop.  I found that Microsoft offers a free download of the Win7 OS by simply entering the product key.  When I did this, the web site referred me to the manufacturer.  I'm here on the HP Support web site for a copy of Win7 as it was originally supplied with the laptop, but I find no option for this among the downloads section.  I'm not concerned about data or additional software, as I have copies of all that I need.  I don't need a CD/DVD or flash drive.  I just need to download the OS.  Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome for what little assistance I could offer. I agree fully with you concerning availabilty of an ISO. I have debated that issue for years. Closest I have gotten to an answer is that it has to do with Microsoft's licensing restrictions of OEM software. Believe me I have tried.

There is an alternate you might consider. It is a tool created to use for downloading the MS iSO files. I have never used it- but have seen it recommended on various sites- it may save you some time. Please, let me know if you try it and it is successful.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I am sorry but HP does not offer a download of Windows 7. You can order Recovery Media if you did not make yours.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-pavilion-dv6-6c00-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5191856...

HP Recommended

Will the Recovery media work on a bare HDD?  Even if it does, there's something fundamentally wrong with paying for an OS that I already paid for once; that's the point of product keys.  Anyway, is it a full Win7 install, or will it only work if there is already a copy of Win7 installed?

HP Recommended

Recovery Media is  full install of Windows and the original software/drivers that came on the laptop when new. It will work on a new, blank hard drive.

As for paying for media-your laptop had software on it to create your Recovery Media either on dvd or usb flash drive. If you do not make it-you pay HP for it.

HP Recommended

CherylG,

Thanks for your reply and your help.  That completely answers my questions.

As for the Recovery Media, I don't need HP to create Recovery Media on DVD or USB flash drive and ship it to me, charging me for the media and postage, and requiring me to wait several business days for delivery; I could do that myself using another PC at zero cost (except time) and with a wait time of minutes if the image was available the way drivers are.  And we already own Recovery Media for this laptop, so purchasing it again is needless.

This is a not-for-profit-organization-owned laptop that is issued as-needed, and the Recovery Media is safeguarded along with other organizational software assets.  As an IT professional, it has been my experience that no corporation for which I have worked or with whom I have interfaced, including numerous multi-national major players, issues Recovery Media with laptops.  Doing so could very quickly create a tech-support nightmare.  In essence, this type of thing is what created this problem in the first place, as a would-be expert made an OS change without realizing how it would impact the funcitonality of the laptop.  

In the long run the original Recovery Media can be utilized.  However, considering the timing with the holidays, this solution is not available until the organizational offices open again after the New Year.  By the time I ordered Recovery Media from HP and waited for it to be delivered, I would again have access to the original.  Either way, in the mean time the laptop is crippled.  

Had we purchased the OS directly from Microsoft, the holidays wouldn't have impacted the repair; I could have downloaded it, installed it, and the laptop would have been up and running days ago.  It is unfortunate that HP doesn't offer the same free, immediate solution that Microsoft does.  HP offers driver downloads in this fashion; an OS image could be offered by HP in a very similar manner, using model/serial number and/or product key info for validation.

Given the circumstances, the only thing holding back the functionality of this HP laptop is a decision made by HP not to offer a service that is freely and immediately offered by Microsoft to its customers.  My $.02 worth.

Is HP listening?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome for what little assistance I could offer. I agree fully with you concerning availabilty of an ISO. I have debated that issue for years. Closest I have gotten to an answer is that it has to do with Microsoft's licensing restrictions of OEM software. Believe me I have tried.

There is an alternate you might consider. It is a tool created to use for downloading the MS iSO files. I have never used it- but have seen it recommended on various sites- it may save you some time. Please, let me know if you try it and it is successful.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

HP Recommended

CherylG,

Hmmm. My first reply to your solution didn't take.  Not sure why, but here's another attempt.

The URL you provided worked great!  I was able to download the ISO with no problem, and my OEM product key worked.

The installation went fine, and I burned the HP drivers from the HP website onto disk to get the various devices going.  I've waded through some 90 Windows Updates with only 2 failures (both are .NET 4.5 Security Updates, I'll deal with them later).  Everything that was wrong with the laptop before the reinstall is now fixed!

The only caveat is that the Wi-Fi won't work now, but it was working before.  I'm able to connect via 100BaseT, so at least I'm up and running.  I've started another discussion on that issue.

But as far as this discussion is concerned, the problem is solved!  Awesome!

HP Recommended

Great news! Happy to hear you are back up and running. I checked for your post on Wi-fi and see that Paul has come to the rescue there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.