Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dv7-7333cl.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I received instructions from another HP volunteer about replacing a bad hard drive. I`ve replaced the hard drive with a new one and need someoe to please walk me through how to format my new hard drive back to the WIN 10 I had installed on the old one. I did also purchase a 22 pin usb to SATA adapter.

The other agent said Windows 10 can be reinstalled onto a new hard drive if your installation was activated before. The Microsoft activation servers just know your computer and will reactivate. You need to go to the Media Creation Tool, and have it make a bootable DVD drive or you need a usb thumb drive at least 4 gigs. 

I am in Germany but do not know the language well enough yet and could not find a Windows Media Creation tool in English free repacement version.

I do not know what to do to format my new hard drive...please help!

Thank you.

Wes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

PROBLEM (FINALLY) SOLVED!!! Just wanted to let you know we finally figured out why the data from the computer with the WIN Media Creation Tool was not uploading onto the thumb drive = FIREWALLS! Not sure if everyone will have this issue but working with Windows agent, I happened to see a pop-up window stating something about data scan not allowing completion of upload. Therefore, it is at times crucial to temporarily disable all Firewalls and Web Securities before starting the upload.

Follow Las Vegas Wire Man's instructions above to create a bootable USB Thumb Drive for newly replace hard drive with Windows10 OS. HOWEVER, the following was not mentione in his instructions and not all computers may need to do this extra step so keep the following in mind if your thumb drive is not completing the upload.

Again, to upload data I downloaded on the working comuter I had to a thumb drive, one must temporarily disable all security features on the working computer before completing the upload of the WIN Media Creation Tool files onto thumb drive process (this includes any private web virus software one may be using AND/OR the WIN Firewall and other security features available on the conduit computer.

I hope this helps those with similar issues.

Thank you again with all your help Las Vegas Wire Man!

Kind Regards,

Wes

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Additional info: The new laptop came with Windows 8 OS installed and I had chosen the free WIN 10 upgrade when it was available.

HP Recommended

Please see Download Windows 10 to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

1.  Click the "Download tool now" button to download the tool.

2.  Choose the option to SAVE the file on the computer.

3.  Run the SAVED "MediaCreationTool".

4.  Click "Accept" to accept the terms of the software license.

5.  Click on "Create installation media for another computer" and then click "Next".

6.  Select the language, architecture, and edition you wish to create... Based on your information, it appears that you will want to select "English(US), Windows 10, 64-bit(x64)"... After making these selections, click "Next".

7.  Select "USB flash drive" or "ISO file"... please purchase a 4GB USB flash drive for this purpose and select "USB flash drive"... Install the USB flash drive and click "Next".

8. After the USB flash drive has been written with the bootable Windows 10 installation files, please connect the USB flash drive to your dv7-7333cl and boot from it.

9. Follow the prompts to install Windows 10

Good luck.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Do I press the Esc button repeated ly when I first turn on or F12 or where do I find the option to download?

Thank you for your assist

HP Recommended

Dont mean to sound so lame but how do I confirm this computer is 64 bit?

HP Recommended

Please see HP ENVY dv7-7333cl Notebook PC Product Specifications for your computer's original specifications. Based on this info, your computer was shipped with a 64-bit OS. In reality, your computer could use either a 32 or 64 bit OS.

You will need to follow my instructions above on a working computer to create the bootable Windows 10 USB media. After this is done... insert the USB stick in one of the USB ports on your dv7-7333cl... turn the computer on and immediately start tapping "F11"... next, choose "F9" / "boot device" and select the USB stick as the boot device. The computer should boot from the USB stick and begin the install process... select "Custom: Install Windows only" when prompted.)... when it asks you for a product key, click "Skip"... follow all prompts and answer all questions...

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Thank you...I will attempt as instructed and let you know my results,

Kind regards,

Wes

HP Recommended

Hi Las Vegas Wire Man,

Well, after multiple tries of following your instructions, the WIN 10 would not complete the load onto the thumb drive 8GB and properly formatted..

It says I need to contact Customer Service with the code error: 0x80070005-0xA0019

Very frustrating!

Would you have any idea what the problem might be?

HP Recommended

Based on forum threads at the Microsoft Community, I would guess that the Windows 10 download/image that is on the USB stick has some issues. You can try downloading it again or follow the advice of creating the ISO and using Rufus to make the bootable USB stick.

Frank

HP Recommended

Ill try almost anything at this point but have no idea what Rufus is...a software program?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.