Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey All,

My Laptop just freezes randomly and does not unfreeze unless I close it or either take out the power cord or plug it if its not already charging. This seems to be a common issue going back years, so I am not sure why it still happens on this series. Any quick fixes? Can you just patch it or something?

Also, I am not even gaming, I just like cool looking laptops. 

Kind regards,
Helio

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@heliofan

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your notebook freezes, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When does it freeze? Is it while browsing the internet or working on some documents/files?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Did you perform a hardware diagnostic test? 

Here are a few steps you could try to resolve the issue: 

System Test: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen.

If the test passes, continue with these troubleshooting steps from the link: Click here

Step 1: Unlock the unresponsive computer

Step 2: Update device drivers

Step 3: Update the BIOS

Step 4: Check and clean air vents to prevent overheating

Step 5: Scan for and remove viruses and malware

Step 6: Uninstall software to fix lockup or freeze problems

Step 9: Reset the computer

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hey Flower,

Your link for the model deos not work. My ProdID is 1RJ98EA#ABU, Model 15-ce001na.

It freezes from time to time all the time no matter what. I can turn it on and leave it without entering my password and it will freeze on the home screen. And.. it will always unfreeze if I plug in the power cord or unplug it.  I don't remember it ever having worked fine.

I am keeping the Software up to date, as per request by the HP Support Assistant app. The laptop is still relatively new and not dirty. My bios was recently updated. 

I have not done a diagnostic test yet.  I will continue following through on what you mentioned, but I the reason I posted was that I hoped you were aware of this issue already and knew the cause and solution. This post https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-OMEN-freezing-issues/m-p/5888231/highlight/true#M4... led me to believe this was a common issue with OMENs and https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2470821 this user's post was what made me realise taking the power cord in/out would unfreeze the laptop.

kind regards,

Helio 

HP Recommended

@heliofan,

I am responding on behalf of @Flower_Bud as she is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing my HP Omen freezing. 

Please please please tell me you actually know what the problem is and how to solve it. 

I have noticed it freezes while using several different browsers and programs (apps).

I am about to work from home using my laptop and need this issue fixed. I can't believe this expensive computer (which I do not use for gaming) is freezing up constantly.  I am so frustrated and disappointed!

Margery

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.