Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion pv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just replaced my old 500 GB hard disk (works perfect) with another 1 TB hard disk with Win 10 which worked perfect in my Toshiba notebook.  Entered Bios, hoping to see that the system recognized my new 1TB hard disk, but could not find any section or line regarding the hard disk.  Saved changes to Bios (like I do with other notebooks) but still the message "no bootable device" re-appears.  Moving the same 1TB to a Dell notebook works like a charm.  I am new to HP computers and need help to solve this issue.  Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved!!!

A. Using Chrome instead of Win Explorer proved to be a much better and safer way to access HP Support.

B. Using Chrome I was able to rich the point where my system was recognized and analized for missing and / or outdated drivers.

C. Flushed the Bios with a newer version.  Updated all Chipset Drivers, and the Storage Driver.

D.  Removed the old Win 7 hard disk and installed the Win 10, 1 TB  hard disk.  

E. This time, the system recognized the disk.  It did not boot automatically but instead told me that the format of the partition  (GPT) is not compatible with HP Standard.

F.  Backed up all my data and used Acronis Disk Director to Change the partition to a non GPT format.  Restored all my data after re-partitioning.

Now, my HP Pavilion dv6-2130ej system runs Windows 10 freely and smoothly!!!

Thank you very much -  The Fossette and  CherylG -  for your invaluable instructions that guided me thru this advanture and led to the "Happy End"!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @ghaim,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting no bootable device found error after changing the hard drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oVEO3j

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your response.  As I have stated, the 1TB hard disk Win 10 works perfect when installed in a Toshiba notebook or in a Dell notebook.  I am able to swap it from one computer to another with no problem.  My HP Pavilion dv6 had a 500 gb hard drive with the original Win 7 operating system.  I have replaced it with the above 1TB win 10 hard disk and it keeps giving me the No Bootable Device message.  I have ran all types of tests and the disk passed them all with no problems. 

Someone mentioned the possibilty that the Bios in the HP machine needs to be flushed with an advanced version in order to get it aquinted with Win10 and 1TB hard disk.  Is it true? What makes the difference between HP Pavillion dv6 machine and Dell Vostro 3300 or Latitude E4210?  They accept any type of hard disk and any version of Windows.  Moreover, the Bios in these machines list the drives and when you install a new size hard disk the bios writes the new size and the new model of hard disk.  I did not see this info in the HP Bios. 

HP Recommended

Hi @ghaim,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oVEO3j

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Indeed, I went thru every step in the link you provided, but it did not solve the problem. 

I have also inserted a win10 disk in my DVD and booted from this disk, but it kept giving me the error message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  I kept restarting again and again but it did not went beyond that point.

HP Recommended

Hi @ghaim,

Please remove the 1TB hard drive from the computer and install the old one (500GB) and update the bios and the chipset driver from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

After the bios update, please install the new hard drive and check if the new hard drive is getting detected.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

WOW.  This sounds like the most promising way to solve the problem.  Will try it tonight and will be more than happy to report on the results.

Thanks !!!

HP Recommended

Hi @ghaim,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please perform the suggested steps and test.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, what's going on?

Followed your instructions carefully, but could not access the service.

I have tried over ten  times to access HP Support thru the link you provided, but am getting the error message:

"unable to access the system at this time" again and again.  Tried morning, noon, evening - same result. 

Is this a viable link?

Tried different ways (including search for Bios Update, but got the same annoying message.

Would appreciate any tip to proceed beyond this point.

Thanks

HP Recommended
Get your full Model number or Product number from the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop (may be under battery)> How To Find Model/Product Number

Once you have the info, use the button at top of this page titled "Support", then click "Software and Drivers" from the menu. On the next page enter your Product Number. After entering  click 'Find ' button. On the next page be sure correct OS is selected-if not click Change to edit .A list will populate with drivers/software.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.