Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So, are you saying that in addition to this HP recovery disc I have ordered, I will have to repurchase one of the versions of  Windows 7 software, and download it after the recovery operation?

Or, is this something I can use my transfer cables for my desktop to accomplish; or is that too naive?

HP Recommended

Try the recovery disks first it may work straight out of the box! 

HP Recommended

go read over my posts from 10/10 and 10/11/11.  sounds just like the problem I had.  Follow the post on 10/11 and you should be able to get it back up and running. make sure to run the startup repair twice.  It seemed to work for me when I only did it once, but then got a blue screen with other errors, so I ran the startup repair again and I got it to work and haven't had any problems with the laptop since.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, I went back and printed the info from last year.

I am at the point, that if after I run the recovery disks I ordered this a.m. and which will arrive tomorrow via FedEx, if it still gives me issues, I may just toss it and buy her another one.

Things like this should be much simpler--being able to replace a fried HD and get up and running again--without having such stress!?

Thanks, I will update accordingly.

HP Recommended

Well, as others have stated here--it is never easy sometimes.

I received the discs this a.m. from HP (2 Recovery Discs and 1 Driver Disc) and I tried multiple times to install them and bring the hard drive to life; however, every way I tried it obviously something is still missing from the equation?

The new hard drive is working, I can tell just from the sound it makes, as well as when I run disc #1 it does open to a screen which says 'starting windows' and I get the rotating multi-colored Windows Logo, but then after it saying loading and running for several seconds, it just stops, with the Starting Windows banner, and does nothing else.

I tried it both to disk and to hard drive bios configurations and also with the recovery configuration.  I started and restarted the PC but I just cannot get past the downloading of recovery disc #1.

I had assumed that I would load disc 1 and then it would tell me load disc 2 and I would be good to go, but that is not to be.

I dropped by my local computer repair shop in town, and described everything to the man, and he told me they do not use the recovery discs, they download OEM data from their source and get it going again, after a hard drive change.  For this operation they want to charge me $45 for the diagnosis and to look at it, then another $200 to perform the boot!!!!!  I said thanks, but no thanks.

I am already in it for $100 for the new hard drive and $29 for the software from HP, so I am really just thinking of tossing it in the trash and just going to WalMart and get her a new one, which today, for the same memory and speed of this one I have, is only about $350.

I will play with it some more, but have been at it for over 6 hours now, today.

HP Recommended
I get the same message! I have a hp pavilion dv4 and have all the recovery disks, new hard drive, etc. The hp recovery seems glitched or some thing. Every time it tells me to restart, I get the same message even when I went thru the recovery process. My next pc will never be a windows.. I had been searching for weeks and come up with garbage information and no help. Is there a fix yet??
HP Recommended

One of the earlier posters had the answer to my problem and saved me a huge amount of time...

For anybody who has replaced the hard drive and has used the Recovery disks only to get the "No bootable device" message:  make sure you are using the Factory Reset option!  The System Restore option does not repartition the drive.  The Factory Reset option does.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP 650 laptop. when i switch on a prompt message stated (No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key) and I dont have the boot disk.

HP Recommended

@Kaser112288

Call HP to request Recovery Disks.Choose your country ,on the next page select Call HP,and then use the number for 'Business' machines>> Contact HP

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I need simple language and instructions here b/c I am such a newbie.  My son slammed down his  laptop lid yesterday and he said he heard a terrible noise and now screen is black and says "No bootable Device."  I put in the restore dvd and it says it's loading, then sits on the colorful, moving "windows" page  forever.  Never does anything else.  Am I just not giving it enough time?  He has a HP Pavillion model # g4 1016dx like his brother, whose works just fine.  Memory test passed, hard disk test failed.

Some stuff screen said before I used the recovery disk sent to me from HP:  PXE-MQF:  EXITING PXE ROM

PXE-E61-MEDIA TEST FAILURE--CHECK CABLE. 

I have a disk called, "Application and driver recovery" at home but doubt it will fix anything.

Can someone please email me directly at {Personal Information Removed}

If anyone lives near 33634 in Tampa FL I could really use some help.

Have another laptop at home that has a flickering monitor and two missing keys.  One key is missing the black rubber thing in center and was told I'd have to replace the entire keyboard.  Is that true?

Thanks for your time and help.

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving holiday.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.