Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13 ah1015nw
Linux

I can not install any Linux operation system, because my disk is not detected. I have standard M2/NVMe disk and installed on Windows 10. Windows works fine.

When I boot Linux from USB, I cannot install Linux system. GPARTED also can't see my disk, except USB pendrive mounted as /SDA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To resolve this issue we need to apply following instruction: https://askubuntu.com/questions/972200/bios-does-not-detect-ssd-after-reboot-from-ubuntu-16-04-dell-...

1. Boot from LiveUSB (press F9 and select pendrive).

2. In the grub menu, press "e" on keyboard and add after "quite splash", buy before three line "---". Something like that:

... quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=250 ---

Where number, set 250 or 0.

3. Press Control+X to boot system.

4. Linux should detect NVMe disk now. You can install system.

5. Probably is needed changing of grub file permanently after Linux installation and adding parameter: nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=250

You can do this by modifying GRUB_LINUX_CMDLINE_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and then running sudo grub-install.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@lapatop 

That's because MS introduced a new form of Hibernation with Wih10 that keeps the Win10 volumes MOUNTED even when Win10 is running.  Since Linux will not allow you to mount a volume already mounted, it either does not "see" them or it throws up an error message if you try to mount or access them.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT.
This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix the booting problem.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

See if that helps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Screenshot from 2019-07-25 14-56-45.pngUnfortunately. After disabled FAST STARTUP,  still I can not see the disk when booting from LiveUSB.

HP Recommended

@lapatop 

Then, it could be a host of other issues, like SecureBoot, for instance -- and unfortunately, we are not equipped here to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

To resolve this issue we need to apply following instruction: https://askubuntu.com/questions/972200/bios-does-not-detect-ssd-after-reboot-from-ubuntu-16-04-dell-...

1. Boot from LiveUSB (press F9 and select pendrive).

2. In the grub menu, press "e" on keyboard and add after "quite splash", buy before three line "---". Something like that:

... quiet splash nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=250 ---

Where number, set 250 or 0.

3. Press Control+X to boot system.

4. Linux should detect NVMe disk now. You can install system.

5. Probably is needed changing of grub file permanently after Linux installation and adding parameter: nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=250

You can do this by modifying GRUB_LINUX_CMDLINE_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and then running sudo grub-install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.