Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have bought a tm2 with win7 home x64, my IT guys at the office have installed win7 ultimate x64 and obviously all the HP software was missing when I got it back. Luckily they saved the old files and I was able to locate the SwSetup folder and managed to install the essential drivers.

However, I miss all the HP software, meaning I can either not find it in the SwSetup folder or it wont install. I found the HP Touch Smart "something" Center (folderHPTSLC) but I get the "hp\bin\hpbi" error and I have found the win7 Recovery Manager on the HP homepage but I get the "hardDisk.dll" error.

I am really a bit upset that I have to spend so much time to solve such a simple problem, I have an untouched Recovery partition, an untouched HP Tools partition as well as all the files in the SwSetup folder, how hard can it be?

I want the software I paid for and so far I spent several hours searching for a solution to an apparently so simple problem (just provide the software on your hp, or at least one that reinstalls the Sw from the hdd on the HP Computer if you are afraid that your software might get used on other than HP computers...).

Can someone please provide me with either the solution to the above mentioned problems, a working link to the HP Touch Center applikation (altough I have the files, it just wont install) or tell me how I can reinitiate the HP Software and driver install that happens just after you configure your win7?

Thanks,

Geen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I agree, our IT guys screwed this one up, they didnt even know the upgrade thing... 😕

Anyhow, I found a way to install the software I was looking for, just unzip to a folder and run the .msi in the src folder.

Although not all the apps had such a folder, most of em had.

After playing around with the sw a bit, I realized that I didn't like it anyway, boy am I glad I did not go back to home!

and btw, we bought a HP Mini and this one had a nice little software called AppInstl in its swsetup folder, actually just the sw I was looking for. Obviously the same happened with the Mini ("clean" install) but with this app I managed to re-install all the sw I wanted without any problem, except QuickWeb of course, but that seems to be a general problem.

Seems to me that HP also saw the need for a "easy install your software after clean install" app. 🙂

Thanks for all your input, my problem has been solved!

Rgds,

Geen

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I believe the reason that you are still having problems is that the hard drive still has old registry files left over from Win Home Edition.

If you are using a retail copy of W7 Ultimate you must do a clean install. What I mean by this is to delete everything on the hard drive and create "unallocated space" using "Partition Magic"

http://download.cnet.com/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html?part=dl-6285158&sub...

You will have to remove the hard drive and connect it to another machine, usually USB, and choose to delete everything on the HD. I know a clean install was not performed because you still have "HP tools" as one of your partitions. When you do a clean install of W7 there will be two partitions, the OS of course and another refereed to as system. This one is usually at around 199 MB. Your recovery partition may still be there as well. But since you are up grading I would have made some recovery disc's first before the upgrade and removed the recovery partition. Since you still have recovery, you should be able to restore it back to "Home" and start over. If you go back to Home there should be a much simpler way to upgrade to Ultimate with out having to go to all these drastic measures with a retail copy of Ultimate.

When it's back to W7 Home edition and everything is working properly : right click on my computer and then find :

"Get more features with a new edition of Windows 7"  click on this. You will have two choices here. Choose "Enter an upgrade key" you should have this from your copy of W7 ultimate.

I have never upgraded using this method, but this should work and you should not have to start from scratch and reinstall all your drivers and software as the idea behind this method is to simply add the features of Ultimate with out having to start from scratch.

HP Recommended

First of all, thank you for your prompt reply!

But this is exactly the answer I did not want to receive (this and maybe, "errm sorry, it is not possible at all...).

I believe I was told that my IT guy tried the upgrade thing, but as you can also read on various posts in other boards, upgrading from home to better is not really perfectly working.

Again, it must be possible that I can at least get a working Recovery Manager for Christ sake!

Or provide a step by step instruction on how to initiate the HP Software and Driver install procedure that happens right after you configure your win7. Since it is all win 7, this simply must be possible!

Or at least give me the registry settings I have to alter / delete.

Just provide me with a solution to get my paid software, other than to revert back to win7 home, lying there on my untouched Recovery partition with all the stuff that actually should come on bootable DVDs for which I would now have to pay for.

Btw, I think I actually cannot go back since I do not have the Recovery Manager anymore (F11 does not do anything), great... 😕

Slightly frustrated,

Geen

HP Recommended

Use this utility..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-77449-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

to copy the image of your default Windows from the recovery partition to an usb drive(16GB should be all right). Set the first boot option to usb flash(disk..), reboot and follow the instructions. It's the same like recovery cd/dvd and you don't have to use F11 or whatever else to recover an OS..

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Trying to find the exact problem as to why none of the HP software and drivers won't install is next to impossible. It may be possible to find a patch somewhere to allow things to install, but it will take longer to do that then it would be to start from scratch.

Try pepe999's solution, if that does not work you may have to buy some recovery disc's from HP, revert back to Home edition, and then do your upgrade or clean install to Ultimate.

I spent hours and days up-grading my HDX to Windows 7 from Vista. I eventually had to delete everything on the drive and start clean because of all the errors I was getting. If you are not going to use my suggestions then that is all I have for you.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge will be able to help here.

HP Recommended

Have you checked your models page to see if the software is available to DL? Choose  Here

Too late now_ but as HaggisCat mentioned above, all that was needed to upgrade to Ulimate is using Anytime Upgrade in the Start Menu to enter your new key & all the extra features of Ultimate would have installed/unlocked automatically within a few minutes leaving everything intact. I have done this and it worked flawlessly.

I understand that you are upset about your software & drivers_but this could have all been avoided if the IT guys had taken a bit of time to learn about the upgrade path rather than formatting your C: drive_or someone had made Recovery Disks first in case of problems.

If it were my machine and all efforts fail at getting the software you are looking for, I would order Recovery Disks and put it back to factory, then use the upgrade path as mentioned.

Or use Disk Management to set the Recovery partition as Active,(works on some/others not) reboot and reinstall back to factory...then use mentioned upgrade path.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I agree, our IT guys screwed this one up, they didnt even know the upgrade thing... 😕

Anyhow, I found a way to install the software I was looking for, just unzip to a folder and run the .msi in the src folder.

Although not all the apps had such a folder, most of em had.

After playing around with the sw a bit, I realized that I didn't like it anyway, boy am I glad I did not go back to home!

and btw, we bought a HP Mini and this one had a nice little software called AppInstl in its swsetup folder, actually just the sw I was looking for. Obviously the same happened with the Mini ("clean" install) but with this app I managed to re-install all the sw I wanted without any problem, except QuickWeb of course, but that seems to be a general problem.

Seems to me that HP also saw the need for a "easy install your software after clean install" app. 🙂

Thanks for all your input, my problem has been solved!

Rgds,

Geen

HP Recommended

just use CyberLink Recovery Discs utility resolves an issue where Recovery Discs sent from HP do not work on a new hard drive. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-80183-1

HP Recommended

Hi I feel compelled to voice my opinion here Mainly because most of the people are talking in the past tence and are not helping at all, like CherylG here whom is suppost to be a hp expert and you maybe, but helping, your not, just stating facts without and forward progression. As for recovery disks once upon a time they used to shared out on the manufactures web sites, but they seen money in making us pay for them, Personnelly i think they should be made to put the iso s up so people can get what they paid for, and believe me they have paid for a license but HP and microsoft have wiggled their way out of taking responsibility for their actions, I mean come on they aren't going to own up to anything they have to be honest about, all im going to say is grow a back bone HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.