Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The lengthy suggestion was already tried repeatedly by myself and the original poster, as we both stated. I only saw you stating there is nothing else to do if that "fix" failed, which it did.  Otherwise, I suppose you have a hidden reply I can't see. Feel free to shrug far away. 

HP Recommended

@lilymccannwrote:

The lengthy suggestion was already tried repeatedly by myself and the original poster, as we both stated. I only saw you stating there is nothing else to do if that "fix" failed, which it did.  Otherwise, I suppose you have a hidden reply I can't see. Feel free to shrug far away. 

It worked for me.

Different laptop Lenovo 120S also with 32 GB eMMC.

If not, just wipe the entire darn laptop and install Windows 10 !

HP Recommended

Did you happen to buy this during black Friday? That is when I bought mine, and I only use it for my small direct selling business. When I first opened it back in November, it was only a week before I started not being able to log on with my log in screen, I would have to restart it several times to get the keyboard to work, another week later and it crashed.  I had to mail it to HP to have it repaired, when it came back, that is when the issue with the not enough space for an update. Ridiculous. I haven't had it back long enough to even download anything on it, so the stuff that is on it is what they did. I'll never buy another black friday special again. 

HP Recommended

@viglionkwrote:

Did you happen to buy this during black Friday? That is when I bought mine, and I only use it for my small direct selling business. When I first opened it back in November, it was only a week before I started not being able to log on with my log in screen, I would have to restart it several times to get the keyboard to work, another week later and it crashed.  I had to mail it to HP to have it repaired, when it came back, that is when the issue with the not enough space for an update. Ridiculous. I haven't had it back long enough to even download anything on it, so the stuff that is on it is what they did. I'll never buy another black friday special again. 

I bought my Lenovo 120S on Black Friday 2017.

I had no problems with it except the Windows 10 updates.

I kept the recovery partition, but next time, I will do a clean install of Windows 10.

The recovery partition version of Windows 10 is old. No point in keeping it.

HP Recommended

Best option is wipe the eMMC and start fresh. Your Windows 10 license key is embedded in BIOS and you can reinstall Windows 10 with the latest update included. You must use another fully functioning machine with free space to make this installer.

Microsoft provides the free Media Creation Tool to download files and create a Windows 10 usb flash drive. At least 8gb flash drive required:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select "Download tool now", and Save it to run later or just select Run if you are ready to proceed.
If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next. Be sure to untick "Use recommended settings" since you are on another machine.
Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit/32-bit) for Windows 10.

If you need photos- Option 1> HERE <gives all the steps.
-------------------------------
When the flash drive is prepared insert it in a usb port. Power on the laptop and immediately start tapping Esc key. From the menu tap F9 key and use the arrow keys to move to and select usb. Tap Enter key.
After starting the Install and you go through a couple of screens - choose Custom (not upgrade) and delete each partition. Continue with installation.It should pickup the key from BIOS but if it asks at any point just choose "I don't have a key". It will continue and should activate once you are online.

This will not include the original software from HP but most of it can be installed from your Support page-if you care to fill up the eMMC again.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Finally!! 

Have an HP Stream 14. It kept on telling me it needed more space to update to 1709. Wouldn't look anywhere but the main memory. Thought my Stream was going to end up a doorstop. Finally just removed/deleted Windows and booted from installer usb flash drive made by said Media Creation Tool with other computer. Windows 10 license key was INDEED embedded in BIOS of Stream.  FINALLY worked! Made it by the coming Microsoft April deadline. Clean install, but I didn't have much on the Stream anyway... 

Much THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

@dkyaz

You're very welcome. Happy to assist. :generic:

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks, it took six hours to do but is now updated and seems ok. 

Tips to others:  save internet favourites, have passwords handy (wifi, email, shops, social media, microsoft onedrive), and wait for Windows Update. Left with all of 10GB. Now, whom do I invoice for six hours?

HP Recommended

First of all a big thanks for your trouble.

I think you are correct but I could not make it work MAYBE because I didn't use another machine and I didn't know how to extract the WIN Activtion code from the BIOS. Now that I know both I will copy & keep your text for the next time.  I say that because I managed the upgrade somehow by writing a stinking letter on the HP/MS Forum - At least I think that is what tipped it into working !!

I had removed every possible thing from my C:\ drive (Anti-virus & Mozilla)  All my other Apps are on the D:\ drive.

I reduced the virtual memory to Zero. Disk cleaned for umpteenth time. Disabled and deleted Sytemen Restore area & files.

The System was then rather unstable but although I had the 8Gb in ordinary count - not so in MS count. That's when I let rip at them. Not sure if that was the reason but a few hours later the system claimed to be doing the upgrade. It took 16-18 hours!!!! I was locked out of the machine but told to keep it powerd.  Now it is done.

However, I really need to master that ISO download and side load clean install you mention.

I do have another machine but I was trying to do the download on the Stream. That might also be a critical step.  The use of another machine. MS don't want activated copies floating about do they? For obvious reaons. That maybe another reason that I found making an ISO files so difficult.

There is ,however, another thing that really galls me here. Don't you think it should be HP who is looking after its customers in this instance? That it should  do so even if the the warrenty has expired? (Just - in my case). This is a an INTEL chip fault.  A hole in the design that dates over 10 years. Between them, they are culpable for what will be a slower than before "work-around" solution. These huge companies can't just take profits ALL the time now can they? So why on earth didn't HP publish this procedure in  order to get around the problem instead of leaving me and my like to struggle with repeated requests to upgrade AND even MS threats to withdraw support by April if we didn't?

I Have one more thing to say here. Has anyone managed to install UBUNTU on a Stream? I have a bootable UB V16.04 USB memory stick. It boots OK but I just cannot get it on-line! It wants the Router code but I cannot get it to function. The other local WiFi beacons are all reported as is mine, but it just refuses to connect. Have you any ideas?

UBUNTU would solve this problem for the remaining life of these HP Stream machines.

Thankyou very much. That was very enlightening.

BerryG 

HP Recommended

All I can say is from my own experience with my Stream 14. I think the second computer is a critical step. By deleteing the original Windows on the Stream by doing a clean install. Didn't need any product/activation key as it was still in the Stream's BIOS. [However, I found that info, using a program, ShowKeyPlus] It finally 'only' took me about 3 hours total. Maybe wifi speeds, I don't know. Obviously the HP/MS support is an issue. There shouldn't have to be a workaround. We'll see how much longer these 'tiny-whiney' 'lite-tops' will be Windows updatable. Any future 'major' Win updates will probably need this clean install workaround as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.