Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
No that doesn’t work . There isn’t a big enuf hard drive or memory .why would you install windows zap on something that u don’t put Enuf storage space or memory for the updates ? And it won’t even let me restore to factory settings . This computer needs to be for internet only w 32 bit you can delete internet files all day long you won’t feee up enuf space for a windows update and theres no way to change to windows 7 without the disc what a waste of money . Can someone please advise how to restore to factory settings and install windows 7 I bought this new last October and it shows windows 7 was in there at one time.
HP Recommended

@LLS9396 wrote:
No that doesn’t work . There isn’t a big enuf hard drive or memory .why would you install windows zap on something that u don’t put Enuf storage space or memory for the updates ? And it won’t even let me restore to factory settings . This computer needs to be for internet only w 32 bit you can delete internet files all day long you won’t feee up enuf space for a windows update and theres no way to change to windows 7 without the disc what a waste of money . Can someone please advise how to restore to factory settings and install windows 7 I bought this new last October and it shows windows 7 was in there at one time.

The Stream never had Windows 7.

There are no drivers for Windows 7.

Laptops sold to consumers in October 2017 most definitely had Windows 10 installed.

Bye!

HP Recommended

@LLS9396

As mentioned-Streams never shipped with Windows 7. The first ones shipped with Windows 8 then later models with Windows 10. I think you may be seeing the old Backup program that was available in Windows 7 that Microsoft still provides for owners with Windows 10 since a lot of people preferred it over the new backup feature in Windows 10.

A lot of Stream owners are resorting to wiping the internal storage and doing a clean install of Windows 10 which does leave much more free space. Microsoft even offers the free Media Creation Tool to make a Windows 10 installer on USB flash drive. The only caveat is you must have another pc with ample free space to download the Tool and make the installer. If you have another machine and care to try the process post back and let us know.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Somehow I have managed to get a download installed which leaves me with loads more space. I needed two USB mem-sticks and a long weight! I mean wait! I now have 11.1 Gb of free space on drive C:\

My Apps - such as they are - all on Drive D:\ which is a 32Gb card. I daresay I now have no System Restore and other things BUT I do have Virtual Memory of around 3Gb. It shold be at least equal to the 2Gb of RAM but I find the whole thing works better with a little more and I have more now - much more if 11Gb is left on top of the Virtual.

So take heart there is light but I do admit it has been heavy going to find it. CherylG has the answer to a clean install - except to say that I did not appear to need a second machine!

Best regards

BerryG

HP Recommended

@BerryG

Using the Stream along with 2 usb memory sticks does take quite a long time. I experimented with that process on the tester Stream I have. I still feel the best option is to make the installer on another machine then boot the Stream from it, delete partitions and install fresh Windows. Much quicker. Of course using the clean install does require backing up any files,photos,etc you have on the Stream because everything is wiped from the drive.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

HI

Here is my fix.

Download the windows 10 Media Creation tool from Microsoft.

Saved  .ISO file and burned to DVD

Hooked up an external DVD with USB

Booted from DVD

Fresh install of Widows. I deleted all partitions on the 30GB internal.

After install 17GB  free.

add Micro SD and pointed user files to that.

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

Very succinct and better for it - Sounds like a very good method with probability of using sticks if that suits better. Great space saving but I suspect at the expense of the usual recovery procedure such as System Restore. However, it might be argued that this is a better way if needed as you have so much more working space.

I'd be interested in any comments.

My system working ok since 24May is showing 12Gb of free space now. So there has been some swelling although I don't know why? All Apps that I have a choice on are installed on HDD D:\ (which is the card slot). Mine is 32Gb but I think it can take 64Gb. More information on that and suitable access speeds with longevity is awaited. 

Best regrads BerryG

HP Recommended

@Glavin wrote:

HI

Here is my fix.

Download the windows 10 Media Creation tool from Microsoft.

Saved  .ISO file and burned to DVD

Hooked up an external DVD with USB

Booted from DVD

Fresh install of Widows. I deleted all partitions on the 30GB internal.

After install 17GB  free.

add Micro SD and pointed user files to that.

Hope it helps.

Not sure I see any difference between this and CherylG's excellent tutorial except for using an external DVD drive.

I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB drive.

Fresh installation of Windows 10 version 1803 back in May 2018.

I don't have an external DVD drive.

Oh, and you may still need to install the drivers.

HP Recommended

hi

I found that the windows\winsxs directory had 6GB that could not be removed. (old recovery back to 2015)

For me nothing beats a fresh reload. But I have the abilty.  Normal users might be confused.

HP Recommended

hi

the Windows OEM loaded all drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.