Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND AFTER INSTALLING NEW HARD DRIVE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope.

If your PC came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS.  W10 will automatically find it and activate.

If you upgraded to W10 from an older OS, if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

If your PC was made in 2016 or later, you could also get a 32 GB USB flash drive and use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you reinstall Windows?

A new hard drive has no operating system, so a boot device not found error is what you get with no operating system on a new hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hi,

no I haven’t, I didn’t realise I needed too? Can this be downloaded via usb from another laptop that is working in my house?? And transferd across

HP Recommended

Yes.

If you are running W10 on the PC you replaced the drive on, use the Media creation tool on your other PC to create a bootable USB W10 installer and boot from that to install W10 on your PC's new hard drive.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Yes the laptop that has had the hard drive replaced did have windows 10 install, and the 1 I can copy from is currently running windows 10 so as you said it should be straight forward!!

what size usb stick will I need in terms of storage?

andy 

HP Recommended

You'll need an 8 GB USB flash drive to create the installation media.

HP Recommended

Your a legend!!!

1 last thing, will I need any product codes or Id numbers of any kind and If so where would I find them?

HP Recommended

Nope.

If your PC came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS.  W10 will automatically find it and activate.

If you upgraded to W10 from an older OS, if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

If your PC was made in 2016 or later, you could also get a 32 GB USB flash drive and use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi

I have followed your instructions and downloaded the windows 10 on the usb, inserted into laptop that has new hard drive, selected usb flash drive from boot up option and the screen goes black with a small flashing underscore line (symbol -) but nothing seems to happen after that?? Shall I try windows 8 as the laptop may have been purchased in 2015?? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

How long did you leave it with the flashing underline?

I have found that it could take up to 45 seconds or so, before anything starts happening.

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.