Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My hard drive has failed so I am attempting to

1. Update from a USB drive containing the latest BIOS

2. reload windows 10 from USB 

I'd like to update the BIOS on my laptop to the latest for the device: BIOS Update F49 REV.A (s990187.exe)

The PC was originally supplied with Windows 8.1 which was then updated to Windows 10

I've followed the HP installation instructions for updating the BIOS from USB. 

https://support.hp.com/emea_middle_east-en/document/c00042629

and the instructions for 

"Update the BIOS Manually from a USB Flash Drive(outside of Windows)

Step 5 of Update the BIOS is:

run "HP PC Hardware Diagnostice UEFI"

then :

Click Firmware Management or BIOS Management.

There is no option displayed for Firmware Mangement or BIOS Management.

I've copied 

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI – v8.4.0.0

Sp135884.exe

to my USB drive, but this does not show any firmware/USB update options when I run this on the laptop

Does any one know how to get the FIrmware/USB update options in PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

this is sorted now.

With the usb stick inserted I restarted the PC with Windows  and B pressed (i.e. with PC turned off hold down windows and B, press Power for about 3 seconds and release. Continue holding windows and B for another few seconds then release all keys. Initially nothing seems to happen then it starts up a BIOS update, which installs the new BIOS from the USB stick.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

this is sorted now.

With the usb stick inserted I restarted the PC with Windows  and B pressed (i.e. with PC turned off hold down windows and B, press Power for about 3 seconds and release. Continue holding windows and B for another few seconds then release all keys. Initially nothing seems to happen then it starts up a BIOS update, which installs the new BIOS from the USB stick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.