Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 17 g130cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased the 16 G USB Windows 10 64 Bit-it Recovery Kit. Followed all the instructions 3 times.Each time the same result. Did not install. I copied the log and retried, but no luck. What else can I do? Checked the hard drive and the memory. Reset the bios to default settings. Is there anything I can do before I try this again? I can upload the log if anyone is interested.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Oops.  Here is the link I was meaning to send you.  I must have had too many windows open at once.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the issue is with the recovery kit.

Sometimes they just don't work.   I've had that happen to me on 2 HP PC's.

When you go to clean install W10 and you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space, then click Next, and W10 will create the partitions it needs to install.

If you're happy with the results of clean installing W10, I suggest you contact HP and get a refund for the non-working recovery media.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with why the recovery kit isn't working. 

You can get your notebook back up and running again by creating a bootable W10 installer using the media creation tool at the link below. You will need an 8 GB USB flash drive for this.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-17-g100-notebook-pc-series/8499304/mode...

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.this link takes me to a website that is selling memory. there is no downloads there for w10 boot only 8g memory chips Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) 260-Pin SODIMM Memory - CT8G4SFS824A             this is no help. Just to be clear, the kit appears to install files, but after it finishes a window appears saying it did not install and gives me a choice of saving the log , details, and retry. saved the log and tried retry a couple times. same result, did not boot to windows. when I reboot the same screen appears. Is this the correct kit? Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Oops.  Here is the link I was meaning to send you.  I must have had too many windows open at once.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the issue is with the recovery kit.

Sometimes they just don't work.   I've had that happen to me on 2 HP PC's.

When you go to clean install W10 and you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space, then click Next, and W10 will create the partitions it needs to install.

If you're happy with the results of clean installing W10, I suggest you contact HP and get a refund for the non-working recovery media.

HP Recommended

Hey, Thanks I understand. I tried another install. The instructions say use esc and then select the usb drive to boot. I tried using F11 and then selecting usb media to recover. Same result. The one I am working on now is first using dos, reformatting the hard drive, which took overnight to do because of the size 1 TB and also reformatting the partition, which by the way is FAT system, don't get that. Anyway both drives d and c are clean. We will see. The files seem to be there after checking with dos so this w10 boot disk my work. We will see. Thanks for your input.

HP Recommended

I don't think that DOS can format drives in NTFS, only FAT.

In any event, W10 will do all the disk prep work for you.

HP Recommended

While this w10 boot is downloading I have a question about RAM. With the first link you sent, it got me thinking about upgrading the ram on my comp. I ran system test and received a warning regarding my ram. Further details and an diag test found there is a 4g and a 2 g ram chips. Different manufacturers. Apparently it is not finding the 2g and informs me i have only 4g of ram. I thought ram was used in pairs of equal capacity. Any way, 2 questions 1 is would only 4g of ram effect the recovery process and 2 can i put 2 8g of ram in this comp giving me 16g of ram? Thanks again for your attention.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the Crucial memory report regarding your PC.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-17-g130cy

Memory runs better in matched capacities because it runs in the dual data rate (DDR) mode.

With the current configuration in your notebook the memory is running in the lower performing single data rate (SDR) mode.

Here is the service manual for your notebook where you can also find the memory upgrade info and memory removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126

After you get W10 installed, run this free utility that I zipped up and attached below to get more info on the currently installed memory.

I don't like the fact that your PC has 6 GB installed and only reports 4 GB. 

Could be a completely dead memory slot. 

Better that it was a completely dead memory module.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I will do that. The 2g module is a different manufacturer. In the event that the module is bad, can I put 2 8g DDR modules in to give me the maximum 16g ram allowable for my comp. Will it configure itself for DDR?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, installing 2 x 8 GB of memory will automatically run it in DDR mode.  No user intervention is required.

What I would first do before buying anything, is to confirm if the memory is working, and if you have a complete 2 GB missing, reverse the position of the memory, and see if the 2 GB shows up and the 4 GB doesn't.

If that happens, unfortunately the slot is bad, and you would have to replace the motherboard to fix it.

I wouldn't go that route.  If the memory slot is bad, just get an 8 GB chip and max out the one good slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.