Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Ah!!!!!! i installed the two sticks of ram and i guess one of the ram was faulty put when i removed it my usable ram didnt change Please help

HP Recommended

@Tobi13 -- please help.

At this point, responsibly recycle the "dead" RAM to an end-of-life recycling centre, and purchase a new stick of RAM.

If you put the "bad" stick into the computer, and remove the "good" stick, does the computer boot properly?

Let's hope that one of the sockets on the motherboard has not failed. If you install the new RAM, and it is not detected, the socket could be the problem.

Or, with only the "good" RAM installed, see: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

for open-source software that does extensive testing of RAM. The software can create a bootable image on CD-R media.

Shutdown your computer, remove the "good" stick, and install the "bad" stick.

Insert the CD-R, and boot your computer from it, to launch MEMTEST86+

It will take 30 to 60 minutes to fully test 4 GB of RAM.

HP Recommended

TO ITSMYNAME 

Yes i had the two sticks seated then i removed one  and now ram shows 4gb 2.21gb usable

HP Recommended

i have removed the bad one and replaced it with the good one and it dosent boot properly

HP Recommended

@Tobi13 --  it does not boot properly

Please add more technical details.

When you power-on the computer, does the POST (Power On Self Test) complete?

If you enter BIOS SETUP, does it show that it detected 4 GB of RAM on the one stick?

Power-off, and move the stick to the other socket. Power-on,  to see if the POST now runs successfully.

Does the motherboard start to load Windows?  Does Windows complete its startup, to show you the Desktop icons & the Wallpaper?

HP Recommended

TO ITSMYNAME

yeah i don't understand what you mean

my pc and my bios reads 4gb ram but it shows 2.21 usable

yes my motherboard loads windows

HP Recommended

I meant that it does not boot at all with the bad ram

HP Recommended

Hi Tobi 13

I am not a tech but you may want to check to see how many programs you have that you may not be using 

to many programs will cltter up your memory and check for programs you are no longer using also check to see how many

are starting at time of startup and turn off unnecessary startup programs and let me know how you make out

on my machine I went to cmd typed ipcoonfig/flushdnc and that also helped my machine

again let me know how it works out for you also check for updates

HP Recommended

Umm i search the spec of your probook and i see that its your probook has two SODIMM slots supporting dual-channel memory.

So your the other memory has doesn't detect.2021-09-26.png

HP Recommended

@birdsinatree  -- too many programs will crltter up your memory

Too many installed programs will occupy disk-space.

Too many concurrently ACITVE programs will consume the available RAM.

But, this person has a "bad" stick of RAM -- it reports itself as being 4 GB in size, but NONE of that 4GB is available to Windows.  So, Windows "reserves" that range of addresses (4 GB to 8B), to avoid every attempt to use that space.

check for programs you are no longer using

Good point. Some programs are active all the time. For example, if you install Adobe Acrobat Reader, you are also installing a small program that is always active, in RAM, namely occasionally checking for available updates to Acrobat Reader.  

check to see how many are starting at time of startup and turn off unnecessary startup programs

Good point, but "bad" RAM is "bad" RAM.

I went to cmd typed ipconfig /flushdns and that also helped my machine

As you access various web-sites, your computer "caches" the IP-addresses associated with the host-names. Example:

Record Name . . . . . : login.live.com
Record Type . . . . . : 5
Time To Live . . . . : 82
Data Length . . . . . : 8
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
CNAME Record . . . . : login.msa.msidentity.com

Use ipconfig /displaydns to list all the entries.

So, a "flush" of that "resolver cache" may resolve some other problem with your computer, but it makes no difference in this case, because "bad" RAM is "bad" RAM.

> also check for updates

This is always good to try, if Microsoft has made available an update that your computer does not yet have.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.