Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx
Linux

Hi, when I boot into Linux OS, the battery drains very fast. It lasts less than 2 hrs which is very bad compared to when booted into Windows 10: 12+ hrs. Also when suspended in Linux the battery drains within an hout from 100% to 0%. The laptop overheats even when CPU has a minimum of processes running and power tools like tlp, powertop say everything is tuned to the max. I don't think it's a hardware issue as in Windows everything works fine. I have experienced the same issues on many Linux distros (Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, Zorin...) and different kernel versions.

For the sleep issue, I thought to change the sleep mode to S3 from current: s2idle, but that didn't work

dmesg | grep -i acpi | grep supports
output: ACPI: supports (S0 S4 S5)
so it appears S3 is not supported

I think the problem is, that my BIOS can't read ACPI table properly.

here are first few lines of the output of: dmesg | grep -i error

[ 0.187851] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.XDCI], AE_NOT_FOUND (20190703/dswload2-160)
[ 0.187857] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20190703/psobject-221)
[ 0.191862] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20190703/psobject-221)

On older Spectre laptops I didn't have these issues. Can you tell me in what ways this BIOS is non-standard and why it can manage power properly in Windows, and not in Linux systems anymore? I have updated to the recommended version of BIOS F.40 , have the proper graphics drivers and the notebook is brand new. Thank you 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MatusH 

Sorry no, we don't have inside information about BIOS specifics.

In addition, HP does not provide support for Linux.

Your best bet is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I don’t understand, who is “we”? If HP is the vendor, they should be able to provide some sort of manual/specification of their software to the client no?

HP Recommended

@MatusH 

Sounds like you're looking for Internal Information on the BIOS -- and HP does not make that information available.

What they do provide is User Guides, which have only high-level how-to sorts of information --none of which would address the issue you are having.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.