Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs020wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!, I am having issues experiencing my power source. For some reason my laptop will not charge while in use, only while completely off and closed. I noticed this issue about 3 and a half months ago, while I was using my device. I have since then, bought a replacement charger and am still experiencing the same issue. without this problem fixed, I am not able to restart or reboot my entire system 😞 if anyone knows any ideas or source for help I would greatly appreciate it! I have tried the f2 command and testing the sources individually,  unsuccessful. I have tried to uninstall the port and install it again, problem not solved

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DumpstrMuffn88

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Let's try these steps here: 

Try charging your laptop with a higher wattage adapter and check if it helps.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

The computer starts normally or a startup menu opens.

NOTE:

If your computer does not start after pressing the Power button, then a power reset did not solved the startup issue. See Additional resources for further troubleshooting steps.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

11. Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update the BIOS and device drivers. See Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎 and Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) for more information.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to uninstall the battery drivers from device manager: 

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Try performing a clean boot on your PC and check if it helps.

From Start, search for MSConfig.
Select System Configuration from the search results.
On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, and then tap or click Disable all.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
Close Task Manager.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your PC. Click Here

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all this information! I am off today so I plan on trying all of these steps 🙂 I will check back in and let you know to see how it goes!

HP Recommended

Okay, so here is an update. I have tried everything on this list, including a different charging cord. I ordered through Amazon. And I am in the process of returning it. at this point, all I would like to do is completely wipe everything off of my laptop to where I first got it. However the problem with this is, it asked for it to be actively charging and the problem with my laptop is, it will not.

HP Recommended

@DumpstrMuffn88

suggest you charge the laptop when its turned off and then once it's completely charged, you can try to format the drive

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.