Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-df0068nr (late 2018)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Summary: When my USB audio interface (MOTU M2) is connected to a Thunderbolt 3 dock, when the computer comes out of sleep or hibernation (Win10), any sound playback cuts in and out as though it is skipping. Suggestions for fixing this? Does anyone else have their audio interface connected to a TB3 dock? I've tried 2 Thunderbolt 3 docks with the same results.

-----
I use my USB audio interface for outputting sound to my speakers (studio monitors). The sound cutting in and out (skipping) is with any audio (e.g. YouTube, PotPlayer for movies/TV shows).

When plugged directly into laptop: Everything works fine, even after computer comes out of sleep mode.

Laptop connected to USB-hub (via USB type-A port on laptop), audio interface connected to USB hub: everything works fine, even after the computer comes out of sleep mode.

Laptop connected to Thunderbolt 3 Dock (via TB3 port on laptop), audio interface connected to USB A or C port on TB3 dock: everything works fine when the computer is rebooted. BUT ONCE THE COMPUTER GOES TO SLEEP OR HIBERNATES and comes out of sleep mode, the sound playback cuts in and out as though it is skipping.

- TB3 docks that I've tried
CalDigit TB3 TS3+
Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock Pro

- my laptop: HP Spectre x360 15-df0068nr (late 2018) running Windows 10 Enterprise

- some things that I've tried...
I do this every time I boot my computer:
Device Manager --> system devices --> Thunderbolt™ Controller – 15D9 --> Power Management --> UNCHECK “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” (gets rechecked every time I reboot my computer)

*** side issue: I have to do this EVERYTIME I REBOOT. because it gets rechecked every time. <-- if someone knows how to fix this please let me know!

I unchecked some power options in device managers, including...
device manager --> universal serial bus controllers --> usb root hub (usb 3.0) --> properties --> power management --> UNCHECK "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (there are 3 of these listed)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@nosauce1 I recommend using a docking station/HUB that has an external power source rather than the one that uses the laptop to draw its power, the same could be a reason why it doesn't work, as waking up may require a certain amount of power that cannot be delivered to us, however, if that doesn't help either, you may want to upgrade the firmware for the same, using their respective manufacturer website.

When done, update the BIOS, Chipset and Graphics card of the HP laptop, restart the computer and check if that works.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Of course the docks are powered.

Already did all the updating on my driver site. All of it. before i posted here

HP Recommended

Please download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Also try using a New User Account and let me know if the issue persists

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

already updated all my drivers to the newest, no windows updates as I've installed all of them.

HP Recommended

nosauce1 Did you create a new user account as suggested before? If that's been done and it doesn't work either, I suggest you check if the docking station works on another computer, if it does, this could be a compatibility issue.

Keep me posted!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.