Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Intel Serial I/O Driver update has failed repeatedly for months. Meanwhile, under Device Manager Serial Bus controllers node, I have  an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Not sure if the two issues are related. I've tried to update the driver for this device to no avail. When I tried removing it, it just came back after reboot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a rather lengthy chain about a similar issue. Not a bad idea to try the search first in most cases. Google also finds stuff on the HP forums.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Fix-for-Unknown-USB-Device-Dev...

Hopefully you will find a solution using those steps.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I found a rather lengthy chain about a similar issue. Not a bad idea to try the search first in most cases. Google also finds stuff on the HP forums.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Fix-for-Unknown-USB-Device-Dev...

Hopefully you will find a solution using those steps.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Thanks. The issue now resolved.

I simply typed "troubleshoot" in Cortana search and selected the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. The solution you linked leads to the same place, but requires several more steps to get there (appropriate for earlier versions of W10).  The troubleshooter found and installed the missing driver and everything was fine after a reboot.

BTW, I did search and probably even saw the solution you linked. The problem was, I was originally troubleshooting the disapearance of Bluetooth capability. It was totally missing in Device Manager. I suspected these two issues were related and had already run the Bluetooth troubleshooter--to no avail. When I saw "run troubleshooter" last night, I impatiently glossed over it and moved on.

In any case, the unidentified serial device is now gone and Bluetooth is restored.  

HP Recommended

Update: The problem is NOT resolved. (I don't see any option to unmark it as solved.)

Some hours later, Bluetooth disappeared again and "Unknown USB device" appeared again. This occured even without a reboot. This time, when I ran Harware and Devices troubleshooter, it did not find and install or a driver and was unable to troubleshoot the issue. Bluetooth troubleshooter also failed. Reboot didn't help.

Looks like I'll need to contact HP support.

HP Recommended

Seems you are not alone..one rarely is with Windows issues :OpenSmile:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/My-HP-Spectre-s-integrated-Bluetooth-...

Seems they fixed it with a driver update after all. Hope it works for you as well.

I also found an earlier message on the net where someone had been able to fix a similar (looking) issue by doing a Registry cleanup with CCleaner but that may have been a different issue and tampering with the Registry is always a bit risky even if you by default take a backup first.

HP Recommended

Update: Problem fixed.

Manually downloading and installing the latest Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver (20.30.0) worked (as suggested in reply #11 in the thread you linked). I waited overnight to make sure the fix was stable this time. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.