Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION 14-ab123tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought this laptop about last year. But i still have not created the recovery system using disc or USB. And now when i really want to create the for recovery system, my laptop has already infected by some like viruses that called PUP at first and now i feel like they have spreading inside my laptop. As the temperature become more hotter than before.

So, i really want to know if i really want to create the recovery system for the first time, is that mean the virus will flow through the process and stay inside my created USB/disc of recovery system?

And are the viruses will caused damages to my laptop once i recover the system using the disc/USB that i created?

i am really regret  because until now i never do the disc/USB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bevilati

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Most likely, you are OK with creating HP Recovery Media -- because that is created using the contents of the Recovery partition, not the contents of the OS partition.  In the Recovery partition, at the factory, HP stored a compressed OEM Windows image, some drivers and some utilities.  It is unlikely that the PUP did anything to any of these.

But understand that when you use HP Recovery Media to do a full system restore, it does not retain current data, nor does it reinstall any applications you added yourself.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bevilati

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Most likely, you are OK with creating HP Recovery Media -- because that is created using the contents of the Recovery partition, not the contents of the OS partition.  In the Recovery partition, at the factory, HP stored a compressed OEM Windows image, some drivers and some utilities.  It is unlikely that the PUP did anything to any of these.

But understand that when you use HP Recovery Media to do a full system restore, it does not retain current data, nor does it reinstall any applications you added yourself.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

i have three questions:

1. let say, if i have done create the recovery system and i have recovered the windows, then the viruses that affected my laptop will continue stay inside or what? is it same as before i do the recovery? i mean my laptop will be same increase CPU and RAM metre? because i know that viruses will cause these metre run up.

2. as you said, after i do the create disc for recovery all my files that i installed will be lost. so do you have any ways to keep them useable whenever i reinstall afterwards. because i do not want to find each of files in websites back.

3. then about office software like Microsoft words excel and others also will be lost? so i need to reinstall them back? How?

HP Recommended

To answer your questions ...

1) Depends on HOW you do the recovery and the source used. Presuming the HP Recovery info is intact and NOT infected, if you create Recovery Media from that and use that to do a Factory Reset, the malware will not be reinstalled and you will be OK. But if you create media from your current install, that media will contain the malware.

2) Not easily.  You can copy files and folders to a USB stick and copy them back after the restore.  But with applications, you can't do that -- as they have components spread all over the place.  You will have to hunt down the source for installing them and also save off any activation codes.  This link points to apps for finding those codes:  https://www.lifewire.com/free-product-key-finder-programs-2625119

3) Any installed software, including MS Office, will have to be reinstalled.  You can use the code apps to find the product key for Office, but you will need to obtain the installation media in order to get it back.  Usually, the websites for the different apps have download links where you can obtain the software needed to install them.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I have a question on PUP.

what is PUP?

what is the effect after i delete the PUP?

PUP is a virus? strong or weak?

i don't know how to eliminate all the residue of this PUP that attacked my laptop because i have deleted 2 PUP but they left some strange feeling to me. as my laptop feel a bit hot and sometimes the mouse pointer rolling unexpectedly. and when i am using my internet and i download something, the downloading session become slow and slower. This never happened before.

do you have any ways to check and permanently delete them before i do the RECOVERY DISC. because you said if i create the disc now means the virus will flow too. and when i do recovery the virus will stay back.  it is very sad for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.