Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am unsure as to why this was marked as spam, I do not know which subforum to pop this issue in as it is difficult for me to narrow down.

I have recently purchased this 13.3 Envy, although I didn't use it much due to having my main desktop with me.

Upon using the laptop, it would be fast, responsive but out of the blue whether it be watching something or halfway through a Zoom lecture, the computer would randomly shutdown, on some occasions it would restart. 

I tried to find out more about the issue but to no avail; 

1) I have disabled Fast boot and disabled restart on system failure options - this has done nothing

2) I have checked the Windows reliability Log to see if it could shed some light on the random shutdowns - it only states there was an unexpected shutdown.

3) I have tried running the diagnostic tests from HP - system and component tests (all seemed to have passed although I am not sure how good the diagnostic tests are)

4) I have checked GPU and CPU temperatures using HWmonitor and I do hear the fan working also if there is load - temperatures seem to range from 45-80 degrees celsius depending on load (around 50 degrees for browsing). This may rule out an overheating issue although there maybe better software to detect this.

5) I have tried running the machine in safe mode - it does seem more stable but there was a random restart today that just occurred - I am unsure if it is a driver issue and have tried to narrow down any particular ones that maybe causing issues

The strange thing is, sometimes the system will be stable for a good few hours before having a shutdown/restart episode and other times it will just happen within 5 minutes of turning it on.

I am stuck at the moment. The laptop is under warranty still but I would like to try and resolve the issue (whatever that maybe) as this is the only equipment I have with me for Christmas (having moved back home). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Maz

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping someone could help me out, am at my wit's end. 

I have recently purchased this 13.3 Envy, although I didn't use it much due to having my main desktop with me.

Upon using the laptop, it would be fast, responsive but out of the blue whether it be watching something or halfway through a Zoom lecture, the computer would randomly shutdown (the worst one being during a Zoom assessment, halfway through). On some occasions it would restart. 

I tried to find out more about the issue but to no avail; 

1) I have disabled Fast boot and disabled restart on system failure options - this has done nothing

2) I have checked the Windows reliability Log to see if it could shed some light on the random shutdowns - it only states there was an unexpected shutdown.

3) I have tried running the diagnostic tests from HP - system and component tests (all seemed to have passed although I am not sure how good the diagnostic tests are)

4) I have checked GPU and CPU temperatures using HWmonitor and I do hear the fan working also if there is load - temperatures seem to range from 45-80 degrees celsius depending on load (around 50 degrees for browsing). This may rule out an overheating issue although there maybe better software to detect this.

5) I have tried running the machine in safe mode - it does seem more stable but there was a random restart today that just occurred - I am unsure if it is a driver issue and have tried to narrow down any particular ones that maybe causing issues

The strange thing is, sometimes the system will be stable for a good few hours before having a shutdown/restart episode and other times it will just happen within 5 minutes of turning it on.

I am stuck at the moment. The laptop is under warranty still but I would like to try and resolve the issue (whatever that maybe) as this is the only equipment I have with me for Christmas (having moved back home). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached some general system info below if that may help.

Kind regards,

Maz

Information.png

HP Recommended

Hello @MrMazB 

When this happens, do you see a blue screen flashing (like BSOD, like this one) ?

Or it shuts down / restarts without any message, screen, warning ?

** If the PC shuts down without any warning, it could be hardware issue.

1. Please, check this article for the majority of the reasons for a PC to turn off unexpectedly - could be motherboard, battery, overheating, etc....

>> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000689.htm

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

2. Make sure your BIOS is updated

Here is how >> https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c00042629

3. Make sure your drivers are all updated

Download and scan the device using HP Support Assistant (9.6) >> https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi there IT_WinSec,

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I do not get a blue screen - the screen instead goes blank/powers off. So this could suggest a hardware failure.

I have checked the first link and gone through most of the options. I have tried the "Fast PC" and "Extensive" diagnostic tests to determine if there are hardware faults - but there seem to be none when running these.

I have also checked that the bios for my particular model has been updated - and it seems to have (F.15-11).

I have used HP support assistant to download the drivers for my laptop but I think Windows automatically installed some of them when it was updating on initial set up so I am not sure if this is the issue.

Do you believe doing a clean install and using only HP support assistant to download drivers might be advisable?

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Kind regards,

Maz

HP Recommended

@MrMazB wrote:

Do you believe doing a clean install and using only HP support assistant to download drivers might be advisable?

You are most welcome !

HP Support Assistant cannot install missing drivers for you. It can only update pre-existing drivers (aka drivers already installed)

You may try downloading & installing BIOS and drivers from >> https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers

after you perform fresh clean installation of Windows 10 - 20 H2.

If you are willing to, it would be nice to try to perform fresh clean install . Check the enclosed PDF file below.

Download the drivers manually at the end.

- Let me know how it goes

- Could you post your product number (SKU) , not the serial number. Here is how to find it >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi IT_WinSec,

Thanks again for the reply and help! I found out that my AMD drivers were not up to date so manually updated them through HPs website for drivers, the system does seem a tad more stable but I still did experience a random shutdown event after a few hours.

I will try and perform a fresh install of Windows 10 - 20 H2 and update drivers through the website and will update you accordingly.

My product number is: 2S901EA#ABU

Kind regards,

Maz

HP Recommended

Hi IT_WinSec,

Firstly, thank you for your help. Thought I would update you on the situation. I have managed to resolve the issue and the computer has been on since yesterday with no restarts/shutdowns.

The first step I carried out was to download the official HP drivers from HPs website for my particular model using its serial number on a different laptop - I labelled each file (BIOS etc.) and then transferred these to a USB stick.

The next step was to reset/do a clean install of Windows 10.

I tried initially to use a Windows Bootable Live CD created from the laptop itself but this would stay frozen on a blue screen like the windows background (no logos etc.). I checked the integrity of the USB and if it actually works by trying it on a separate computer and it did indeed work. I was stumped as to why the USB was not booting - tried disabling SecureBoot etc.

Nevertheless, I was able to reset windows using the laptop's in-built Windows recovery options (accessed by tapping F10 at boot - unsure if it was F10) - make sure you have the BitLocker key for your drive as you will not be able to access the options otherwise.

Once this had completed, I went through set up for Windows 10 as normal but did not connect to the internet - my reasoning being that Windows will try to install some outdated/defunct drivers which may cause the restart loop. 

I then disabled automatic driver downloads from windows (by going through control panel, system and security, system, advanced system settings, hardware, device installation settings, selecting option "No").

I proceeded to install the drivers that I had labelled and had stored on that USB - starting with the BIOS update.

I checked Windows update while connecting to the internet - it is trying to install some Synaptics touchpad drivers (which I had already installed) - I had to pause them just in case it causes a driver conflict. I am unsure as to why Windows is deciding it needs to download drivers for a device that has drivers already (which are up to date).

After performing these steps the laptop now runs completely fine with no shutdowns or restarts noted.

TLDR:

1) Download HP drivers from HP website for your laptop model and transfer them to USB - label them so you can install the BIOS first etc.

2) Reset the laptop with the issue

3) Ensure you do not connect to the internet to prevent automatic driver downloads

4) Disable automatic driver installations in Windows 10 in advanced system settings

5) Insert the USB with the HP drivers, install them (BIOS first)

6) Connect to the internet

*7) Unsure about this step - check if Windows is trying to install drivers for devices through Windows update, if it is, postpone the updates (not ideal) - I did not want to take a risk and go through the restart loop as I was unable to isolate which driver conflict it was*

Hopefully these step may help anyone who has a similar issue.

Kind regards,

Maz

It appears to be a driver issue

HP Recommended

Hi again,

It has just happened. Strangely enough when the backlit keyboard had been switched on -without the backlit, there seems to be no issues. This maybe a hardware fault I am guessing then ☹️.

Kind regards,

Maz

HP Recommended

I am sorry this did not help.

Would you be able to reach to HP Customer Support department for your country -> here is how -> https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

Depending on how recently the device was purchased and the local legal regulations, you might be eligible to return the device and get a refund or a new device (replacement device).

If this is not an option, you are entitled to a free technical support. HP Support may be able to collect your device, inspect it and repair it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.