Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've been facing this issue and I believe a lot of other people are. It's a trashy product from HP. My 5 year old desktop runs much smoother and faster than this laptop.

Did HP find a solution to fix this?

SN#[edited]

ProdID 4LR21PA#ACJ

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Som838,

Is the laptop getting overheated?

Try updating the BIOS chipset and graphics drivers to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

Update the graphics driver using this link. Click Here

Try the steps recommended below.

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

Also, Hit Win Key + R
Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter.
Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1
Restart the computer

Also, try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to control panel > power safe options > customize any combination you currently have > advanced options > processor power safe > minimum level. Change it to 40% and click apply.

Also go to Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power settings

Select everything in the list to high-performance mode.

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on the PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I found the solution. You have to have windows 10 reinstalled. A complete wipe and reinstall. It works great now!

HP Recommended

Hi Bettyvamp,

Could you guide me through the process of doing this or did you get it done at the service center?

Thanks in advance !

HP Recommended

I read people posting that even doing a factory reset didn't help fix the issue 

HP Recommended
I've had the problem of every time my notebook receives "updates" from Microsoft or HP or whoever is performing the Windows updates I loose my mouse and/or my touchpad. Regardless, it makes using the notebook virtually impossible!! I've reset it 3 times now (this is the 3rd) AND each time I've reset it I've set the WINDOWS UPDATES on "Check for Windows 10 updates but let me select which updates to accept." I figured that way I wouldn't get the update(s) that caused the notebook to lock up. HOWEVER, it's did it twice more anyway AND IT HAS THE WINDOWS 10 UPDATES that caused the problem BUT IT DIDN'T LET ME SELECT OR REJECT THEM! So I don't know how we're supposed to have any REAL control over the issue! Thank goodness that even though the reset dumps all my apps that it doesn't dump my old download file and so anything I really want I can just download again and I keep a file of all my Product License KEYs so I can put them right back in. But what a pain!! AND TIME CONSUMING!!! So is this just the future for these HP Pavilion x 360's (mine is a HP Pavilion x 360 m Convertible 14m-dh0001dx) Terelou5549
HP Recommended

That's right. I did 3 or 4 factory resets. It doesn't fix the problem. You have to completely wipe the computer and reinstall Windows 10. This was from Geek Squad. This gets rid of the factory reset. They wanted $100 to do it, but I went somewhere else. It cost me $50. I tried to do it myself, but did something wrong. That's when I paid the $50. I wish I had done this months ago. I kept thinking the factory reset was a clean wipe of windows, but it is not.

HP Recommended

I tried to guide myself and had to take it somewhere.  I did 3 or 4 factory resets. It doesn't fix the problem. You have to completely wipe the computer and reinstall Windows 10. This was from Geek Squad. This gets rid of the factory reset. They wanted $100 to do it, but I went somewhere else. It cost me $50. I tried to do it myself, but did something wrong. That's when I paid the $50. I wish I had done this months ago. I kept thinking the factory reset was a clean wipe of windows, but it is not.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help. I'll get this done asap and end this misery.

HP Recommended

I tried doing this and it did help a little, like it still gets stuck but a lot lesser than it previously did.

Try the steps recommended below.

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

Also, Hit Win Key + R
Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter.
Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1
Restart the computer

Also, try the steps recommended below.

In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.