Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Please I have the ame problem as Bill

Pavillion dv7t-6100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer came with windows 7 and I was lured by microsoft to unpgrade and that was my biggest mistake. Though I bought the computer with recovery disks which do not work now because the pc had problem just after few months of purchase and they changed some hardwares so I guess that is the reason why they are not working.

I tried to get the recovery software for my laptop, but unable to do that.

I also tried to get the ISO at Microsoft's site (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7) but  when I enter my Windows product key, it says:

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I wrote hp at the time but no valuable reply. Now I am desperate. Please help me, how do I get this ISO from HP?  I do not see any other way to recover this laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key on the Microsoft COA label attached to bottom of laptop, you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive. The version  must match version that came installed on your PC as  listed on the COA . Such as Windows Home Premium.
Use the free ISO Downloader here:

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file you download. Link and instructions below. You need a  DVD+R or DVD -R . Or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method. 

Fwiw-I have better results using Rufus to create a usb flash drive installer with the ISO: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Use the 25 character key on the COA to activate the installation. 
Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Hoyhoy 

Sorry, but HP has not stocked Win7 recovery media for some time now -- which is why you did not get replies from HP.

Since HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, another site you should check is: http://www.computersurgeons.com/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key on the Microsoft COA label attached to bottom of laptop, you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive. The version  must match version that came installed on your PC as  listed on the COA . Such as Windows Home Premium.
Use the free ISO Downloader here:

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file you download. Link and instructions below. You need a  DVD+R or DVD -R . Or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method. 

Fwiw-I have better results using Rufus to create a usb flash drive installer with the ISO: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Use the 25 character key on the COA to activate the installation. 
Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

HP Recommended

Cheryl, you are really great and God sent. I was able to download and verify my version of windows. I am now downloading softwares and drives. I hope everything will be fine. At long last! Thank you very very much.

HP Recommended

Happy to hear you are back up and running! You are very welcome and thank you for taking time to update your post and help others find Solutions.

HP Recommended

Sorry to disturb you Cheryl. After installing the softwares and drivers, I found out that I don't have Hp recovery manager. How do I go about the issue? Thanks for your support.

HP Recommended

@Hoyhoy 

You don't have that because it only comes with preinstalled HP OEM versions of Windows.

Additionally, even if you do download and install it, that will do you no good as it requires the HP Recovery partition in order to work and there is no way for you to create that now.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sorry to disturb you Cheryl. Recently this message keeps popping up and it's very disturbing: The windows 7 Home premium key you typed is invalid for activation. It gives me three options:

1. Use the automated phone system

2. Buy a new product key online

3. Type a different product key

Apart from this pop up everything works just fine.

Moreover, please can you explain to me why the recovery disks bought with my computer are not working? Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.