Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Since the data in SWSETUP seem to be redundant, can i delete it before running system recovery?

And where can I find more about running system recovery - like How, for example? 

Planning to use a symlink, I tried to move folders in swsetup, and they magically appeared again.  Not instantly, but after perhaps a few hours.  Did not create a symlink.   I would prefer to implement this solution, which i just stumbled on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, if you delete the SWSetup folder, it will be recreated anytime you install HP software.

But the folder will only contain the software you recently installed.

I just delete it every time it is created if I don't need the file contents inside the folder.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can delete the entire SWsetup folder, but save it on a portable hard drive since it contains the program and driver installation files that came with your PC.

Some of the program files are not available for download on your PC's support page.

Anytime a driver is installed by you or by the HP support assistant, the SWSetup folder is recreated with those driver files inside.

HP Recommended

Well, that's a problem.  Every time I turn on the P1606 printer, i have to reinstall the drivers.  (This has been going on for some time; I just live with it, and turn it on once a day.)  So apparently that would cause the entire swsetup folder to be rebuilt ("...with those drivers inside."   ONLY those drivers??)

At any rate, I'll move it and see what happens....

BTW, "a portable hd" is not the only alternative, I hope.  It would seem ANY drive other than C: would work.  There's a problem with using the C: drive unnecessarily: it fills up fast.  I installed the OS on my C drive, thinking it would speed things up since C is a solid-state drive.  But because it is SS, it is also relatively small, and now the OS constantly pesters me to clean up space.  The Microsoft design of essentially hardwiring paths (like Outlook OST files) to C: does not make this trivial.

HP Recommended

Yes, if you delete the SWSetup folder, it will be recreated anytime you install HP software.

But the folder will only contain the software you recently installed.

I just delete it every time it is created if I don't need the file contents inside the folder.

HP Recommended

If I could find a button to "Accept this solution", I'd click it.

On the other hand, I am loath to accept it.  It is a poor solution.  A better solution, and the obvious solution, would be that HP allow the user to specify where to locate the SWSETUP folder - without using the registry.  Editing the registry is filled with frightening caveats.  I do it only with great reluctance; it's too easy to err.  Software, though, can do it reliably and properly.

HP itself seems not to accept responsibility for support.  Here it is officially left up to volunteer users with no evident affiliation with HP.  This rather obvious fix is unlikely to happen.

HP Recommended

You are correct.

I do not work for or represent HP.

I always suggest that anyone who has a beef with what HP does, should submit their comments in writing to the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.