Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dw0037wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook was completely locked out from finishing a start up.  The BSOD alert critical process died was constantly displayed.  Safe Mode would not work.  Win Recovery would not work.  Win Reset would not work.  System Restore would not work. I followed all the tips and tricks to no avail.  I used the cmd prompt to look at the C drive and the 1 TerraByte HDD was completely full.  I did a disk clean and unfortunately I think it must have also wiped the D drive so Win Re is now completely gone.  The HDD must have filled during my last OS upgrade.  I am comfortable re-installing Win 10 off USB.  Where can I find my Win 10 product key?  The information is not in the Q code sticker on the notebook.

Thanks,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has required that all PC manufacturers put the Windows OEM product keys in the PC's BIOS.

You do not need to have or know the product key to reinstall W10.

Your notebook should also be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has required that all PC manufacturers put the Windows OEM product keys in the PC's BIOS.

You do not need to have or know the product key to reinstall W10.

Your notebook should also be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

Thanks very much Paul, that was very helpful and makes perfect sense.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.